• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wiper electrical gremlin

Got almost all the wiriing working properly. The wiper motor is still an issue, it was an issue before I tore into the car as well. I figure since I'm doing this all over I might as well fix it... The only hot lead I have to the wiper motor is the purple/black wire. No matter what position the wiper stalk is in , this is all that is hot. What others should have voltage?

Should be hot with ignition on.

The motor "+" lead is shown as a black/green wire on the schematic I'm using. It comes from fuse #5. The black/green wire supplies power to the motor from the wiper switch.

+12 volts is fed to the wiper switch by another purple/black wire that also comes from fuse #5. See if you have voltage on this wire at the switch.

Here's a link to the schematic.

Print out a copy - you can mark the leads you're trying to trace -

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,316840/

Tracking the fault can really drive you nuts. I've had faults in both the Wisch-wasch "control relay" see figure 50 on the schematic, and with damaged or mismatched wiper stalks. Power comes from fuse #5 to the wiper, and also from this relay when the wiper stalk switch is engaged. It's best to trace the power along it's path to the relay, the stalk switch, and back again to the relay. If you're not getting power at some point, this is the fault. Draw and mark these points on the circuit diagram as suggested above.

Trace power through the two components until you don't get it out the expected terminal. Assuming you have already checked (metered both side of fuse #5). Most often replacing the Wisch-wasch relay solves the problem - but connectors (item 56) also needs to be checked to make sure they're mating correctly- or that corrosion hasn't caused problems.

If the washer cycle doesn't work either, I'd reseat the Wisch-wasch relay, and meter blk/white and blk/yel for power out at this relay. You also should verify the relay is grounded thru the Brown line leading to a screw under the dash as ground point - if you can't turn on your interior light using the switch on it - this may be the problem.

Take lots of time to do this step by step. Best of luck.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

I got a black/yellow, no black green...if I'm reading the schmatic right it is supposed to be black/yellow, can someone confirm that I am in fact reading it right.

what is this pictured? Is this the relay for the wiper? I have traced a few wires that come from the wiper stalk to this piece. There is nothing plugged into the other side. It has a piece of metal it slides and locks into under the dash sort of to the lower right of the hood release cable.

If it does need something plugged into it, can someone please tell me what. This might be my problem- not sure...

post-224-1366762496036_thumb.jpg