• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

car runs without keys, upgraded alternator

vintage_car

I know that you can put a diode inline with an upgraded alternator that lets the car continue to run. I was using a 4001 I think? Problem is I also remember it burning up the diode, so is there another fix? Can I replace the internal bosch regulator on the alternator with a different kind to allow the car to turn off properly?

I know that you can put a diode inline with an upgraded alternator that lets the car continue to run. I was using a 4001 I think? Problem is I also remember it burning up the diode, so is there another fix? Can I replace the internal bosch regulator on the alternator with a different kind to allow the car to turn off properly?

Make sure that the diode is facing toward the alternator.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,339174/highlight,alternator/

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

1N4007 is same but bigger. Still not sure if it's enough. There's million of choices e.g. BY255 is considerably larger. You could go to electronic store and just ask for larger diode.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Any regular diode should work there without making difference. It's just about how much current they can lead without heating too much. This is rough interpretation, I know, but correct enough in this application.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

I just got my DCOEs installed, and the first time I fired it up this happened to me. The only thing I can figure that happened is that I disconnected the wire powering the old electric choke on the 38/38, and I think this circuit may also be powering my MSD box. The choke may have been providing enough load on the circuit to let the car shut off? Anyhow, the MSD instructions provide a schematic and a diode to use if this happens, so I am going to give that a try.

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i