• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

megasquirt help not firing up

madhaxor_3

I have a map loaded from themoose (thank you by the way). Fuel is working injectors are working tps says 96% no matter what I do, spark is fine (i tested on the body).

I can't figure what is going on with it not turning over and firing. it will crank just fine and fuel is getting into the cylinders (pulled a spark plug and cranked for a sec. to see if the fuel was pumping in).

My set up is

Ford: 19lb injectors, EDIS, VR sensor

318: TB, fuel reg, intake manifold

Jeep IAC (with adapter from Tom at 02again)

DYI IAT

Nissan TPS (from Tom at 02 again)

NO 02 sensor plugged in yet

and thats all i can think of.

I've looked through the megamanual several times and according to that I should be good and everything should run fine. Any help would be appreciated. If I can get more maps or something I dunno what to do. I'm stuck

Thanks

-Mark

1975 2002 *POS(piece of ....) in progress to becoming TS(the ....)*

Have you checked for spark? 1st make sure you are getting spark and then make sure the correct cylinders are firing when they should be. When you ground the spark plug and crank do you see a healthy spark? It's not uncommon with EDIS to get the coils swapped when the system is wired up, ask me how I know. If you place a timing light on #1 and check the flash on the crank pulley is the timing close. Did you set the trigger offset, it won't matter much unless you are way off. If no flash but you are getting spark try swapping the plug wires at the coil, i.e. put the wires from coil A on B & B on A. Also some timing lights have an arrow that is supposed to point down the wire at the spark plug. However on wasted spark systems this can be misleading and some lights will not indicate spark unless the arrow is pointed away from the spark plug. Once again I learned this the hard way. You're in for lots of fun, but try not to get too frustrated.

You indicated you are getting fuel, but are you certain the pressure is sufficient? Have you checked it with a pressure gauge?

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

Ok 2 new details.

1) the tps either reads 5, 94, 95, or 96% no matter what order the wires are set into the relay board. I checked spark and it seems the order is correct, but I can't tell as it is the wasted spark and the light flashes just too much. I seem to be on some of the time for cyl #1 but then it looks like it shifts a lot, I think this is due to the funky spark all the time.

2) I'm not sure the megasquirt is holding the info from my laptop. I burned everything in and turned off the ecu. I know there is a way to do it from the dos prompt but cant find that info again. is the best way just to turn off the car and back on the reset ecu? <--if that doesn't make sense I'll try to explain better.

If anyone needs pics of my stuff let me know and I'll get them to you ASAP.

But for now time to go to the gym to blow off some steam.

I don't think that having the wrong TPS installed should stop the engine from firing up and idling though. You may have it wired incorrectly. Are you sure you have the vref, ground and signal pins correct. When you hook the TPS to a DMM are you able to read a gradually increasing resistance as you open the throttle?

Are the plugs fouled? If you have been cranking it repeatedly with out it firing they probably are. This can make it tough to start. What is your cranking pulsewidth? Have you tried to get it to fire on ether? Maybe disconnect the injector wires and see if you get any response with starter fluid. That will tell you if the timing is close enough to fire the engine.

Are you able to datalog the start attempts? If the ECU is communicating with the laptop log a start attempt and post it with your MSQ on the megasquirt trouble shooting forum. You may not get a response as quickly as you will here but there are people there that can probably get you going. They got me on track.

Good luck

I suggest fixing the TPS problem. At 96%, it may (I'm not 100% sure) be looking at a "flood clear" situation and not allowing any gas to come through the injectors, thinking that you're flooded.

By the way, this really does work. I was messing with different settings, and did flood mine. Holding the pedal down while cranking actually got the car started, and then of course, had the black smoke...

I don't have any suggestions on the TPS. Maybe a bad unit? Maybe some interference? I don't remember, but I think some folks suggested a shielded cable.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to retrace all the wires and test everything again. The TPS does test correctly on the meter according to the megamanual and other sources. I will try flood clear check the basics and post the findings. I'm thinking it's something so stupid that it's just flying right under the radar.

Maybe I should just building my own map instead of using a base from someone else? Is it a bad idea to begin with someones map that works on their car? I thought it would be a good jump start, but maybe wrong.

I suggest fixing the TPS problem. At 96%, it may (I'm not 100% sure) be looking at a "flood clear" situation and not allowing any gas to come through the injectors, thinking that you're flooded.

Good point, I totally forgot about the flood clear. I don't remember what default is, 75-80% maybe. There should be a flood clear indicator on the tuning program that will let you know if it's engaged while cranking. You can also set the flood clear threshold in megatune/tunerstudio.

EDIT: It shouldn't flood clear if you can get the TPS to stay @ 5%

Now I'm more angry than before. even with 96% throttle reading and flooding and so on, I got 1, yes 1! full cycle as far as I can tell. Maybe it was just a hick-up or the megasquirt is playing with me, getting a good laugh at my expense (makes me wish my car had a face I could punch without getting a broken hand). I can't get it to repeat itself and even fire once again. So it seems that the TPS is the problem. I've checked wiring again and again. All tests out just fine and reads smoothly on the meter, but still nothing. Not even the slightest change when throttle is moved.

Any ideas???

I'm about ready to give someone a great deal on a 2002 with megasquirt. Just needs tuning. Offers now being taken reserve set at $0.50 I'll even throw in all the original parts and Weber 32/36 carb. All you need is more patience than I have.

^Look for this post soon^

If you don't figure it out tomorrow, do a datalog while you're cranking and send to me. I'll be glad to take a look, but I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow night or Monday.

I still think you're in flood clear mode and actually not getting any gas.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

Yeah I think that would work out. I'm going to check this TPS again and maybe try some other stuff. I just need this to run so I can move on to the next part of the project. I'll e-mail you with some pics and the update as to where I'm at, if it's not obvious by this thread.