• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Floors to pedal box; a carpet install gone mad!

shipm_8

I've never seen a floor that free of rust before! Nice work, very time consuming with your level of attention to detail I'd imagine.

The gaps on the sides of your rear seat are usually covered by a piece of vinyl from what I can remember. Seems like the vinyl was just glued to the sheet metal.

+1 hes absolutely right.

Also i was wondering, how well did the dynamat dampen the sound?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the picture and the time spent to post it. I'm in the middle of installing carpet and I'm using this as a reference.

The trans tunnel at the front isn't laying as flat as I would like, so I came to check out your post.

Thanks again!

Hi There,

Great job on that carpet install! I found it because I was looking for info on installing the gas pedal rod bushing (part # 35 41 4 440 122). My gas pedal was sliding around and I found that the bushing was missing.

Well I got the bushing but I have a simple question: Where exactly should it be placed? Is it the left end of the rod, the right end of the rod or the center?

Also, great tip on the slick tape I'll definitely do that when I get there.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Wishes,

Dino

Great write up! I am right in the middle of this same exact thing. Same color even! My floor is rusted through right at the pedal box though, so a little more work for me. You are definitely anal enough to be a nuke. I have been one for 17 years so far, so I can relate.

post-2996-13667625711519_thumb.jpg

Matt Haynes

72 Malaga 2002tii - Moes

81 Toyota Supra - Cellie

91 Alpinewies 325iC - Ilsa

07 Titansilber 530xi Sport Wagon

Thank you for the comments and the tips to resolve the gaps in the rear seat. Much appreciated.

I thought of taking some measurements to quantify the before and after of the sound level inside the cabin, but I was afraid the a-r/ocd suppression team would come get me and issue me a citation. So, I have to go on feel...the cabin does appear quieter and more comfortable.

Dino - the 35 41 4 440 122 bushing I installed flush with the tip of the rod because that's where the old one was, but you just got me curious about whether that is correct and I went out to take a peek. Looking at the wear pattern, it appears that, for my car, the bushing should be a bit more centered on that rod, to align it with the pedal. The bushing is a tight fit, so probably some lubrication needed to get it into position (DC4?)

How's that for Forensic 02ing? I may become an honorary Navy nuke after all, mthaynestii!

William

uneven wear

L1070762.jpg

that's why...accelerator pedal is off and just sitting on top of the posts and rod, to illustrate. It looks like the bushing should be a bit to the right of where it is now.

L1070767.jpg

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

• 2 weeks later...

William,

Great post! It was truly informative and thoroughly entertaining. I am in desperate need of a pedal box rebuild in the near future.

Regarding the uneven wear on the gas pedal assembly. I would guess something is bent, possibly the pedal mounting bracket. I know I had to do a lot of tweaking on mine when I replaced my carpet and saw how mangled it was.

Where did you buy all of the parts for your pedal box rebuild?

Thanks,

Paul

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left

O=00=O

Thanks, Paul. Let me know if you need anything as you tackle your rebuild. I'll go over the line up one of these days to see if I can tackle the source of that uneven wear on the bushing. If I had to do this again, I'd go easier on the insulation around the pedal box to keep the thickness of the insulation+carpet down.

I got my parts from a combination of sources: Blunt (aka Steve), parts.com, pelican parts, walloth & nesch in Germany....and mcmaster-carr for generic parts like fasteners.

William

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

• 6 months later...

A great guide! Those sorts of things are just what I would be looking to do.

Did you install sound dampening materials in the hood, inside the doors or in the trunk?

I had looked through Crutchfield daydreaming about Infiniti Kappas and they had suggested for sound dampening to do all of the above.

Looking to help people restore 2002s until I can have one of my own to work on.

A great guide! Those sorts of things are just what I would be looking to do.

Did you install sound dampening materials in the hood, inside the doors or in the trunk?

I had looked through Crutchfield daydreaming about Infiniti Kappas and they had suggested for sound dampening to do all of the above.

Thank you, Jacob. I did not treat the inside of the doors, hood or trunk. I don't think it would make a difference...02s are noisy, and not the kind of listening room that will ever make it to Stereophile magazine.

One thing to keep in mind if you do treat the doors and the hood: heat. You could find yourself with a gooey mess of soundproofing stuff all over the place...most of the products are thought best applied to horizontal surfaces.

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...