• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunroof issues on my 76! - FIXED!

jrhone

So its a great day, went to open the sunroof, and nope...wont open...it goes back about 1/2 inch and then stops. I guide it back with some pressure from my hand on the inside roof panel as I crank and it goes back fairly easily...to close it, it goes closed, but then i have to guide it the last inch or so. It looks like when the crank is in the closed position, the back of the sunroof isnt flush....so is it worn/stretched cables? Can these be adjusted? It seems like one side isnt moving easily so it kind of jams because only one side is pulling...ideas before I pull it out?

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I have to agree, if one side is pulling then it may have separated on that side.

You can easily remove the cast metal covers to see what is inside without causing harm. I'd open up both sides to see whats up. Hopefully you can get the sunroof to open enough for access. Perhaps someone else can open it with you slowly while you provide the backward force to open up the weak side.

I actually haven't replaced a sunroof cable, but removing the sunroof itself isn't hard but should be performed with patience and a bit of time b/c there are many small parts holding it all together. If you have to go that route pop off the interior headliner cover to see the magic behind the curtain...

HTH,

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Gotta agree with Jason...you hear horror stories about pulling the sunroof...but, it is actually very simple as long as you mark everything prior to taking things apart!!! SOP for any operation, right?

Sounds like one of your cables has either :

A) broken and not pulling "it's weight".

or

B) one of the ends has pulled-free from the end of the cables (this happened to me!). I was able to re-clamp the cable end and it has worked fine for 5+years!

Search the forum for posts about removing the sunroof with ease.

Good luck

Lee

"Catch a wave and you're sittin' on top of the world"

-BeachBoys

SO I went to Mesa Performance and got a quote of $200 for a new set of cables....hmmm...maybe I should pop the roof off and take a look...I INSTANTLY spot the problem. The screw holing the plat that attaches the cable to the rear of the sunroof is gone! Great an easy fix! I notice that this screw has a small washer on it allowing the plate to swivel...hmmm...whereto find that specific screw and washer. Call all around no one stocks something like that....then I decide to pull out the inner panel and see if its in the headliner, and its right on top of the inner panel...NICE! Button it all up, lube the sunroof while I am in there, and adjust the height as well as the front was a tad high on one side...and better than new!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

SO I went to Mesa Performance and got a quote of $200 for a new set of cables....hmmm...maybe I should pop the roof off and take a look...I INSTANTLY spot the problem. The screw holing the plat that attaches the cable to the rear of the sunroof is gone! Great an easy fix! I notice that this screw has a small washer on it allowing the plate to swivel...hmmm...whereto find that specific screw and washer. Call all around no one stocks something like that....then I decide to pull out the inner panel and see if its in the headliner, and its right on top of the inner panel...NICE! Button it all up, lube the sunroof while I am in there, and adjust the height as well as the front was a tad high on one side...and better than new!

Lets share the cost of a lottery ticket. You are LUCKY.

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

• 2 months later...

Did you remove the headliner at all? My sunroof works great except the top gets scratched when opening and closing.

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4