• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

320i engine swap?

JFT

I'm looking at what seems to be a pretty nice car - but I've got a couple of big questions about it. I wonder if you folks would care to chime in, here.

Someone has transplanted a 320i engine into it, complete with the Bosch K-Jetronic fuel-injection system. Seems to run pretty well. But I'd have thought that such a swap is a bit like swapping an LS1 crate motor into an otherwise pristine tri-year Chevy. It seems a resto-mod sort of thing to do. And I wonder if it compromises the car's overall value and long-term desirability. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance -

-JFT

'68 1602 I wish I still had

No 2002 yet, but looking

2003 E39 sportwagon

1982 Porsche 911SC

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with it. A purist might not like it. Overall it is not the best solution because K-jet can be finicky, but if it runs good, leave it alone. You can always go back to a carb or move up to EFI with 318 stuff or MS.

It depends which year 320 was used also. The early ones (77-79) were 2.0 litre while the later ones 80-83 were only 1.8.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

umm.

K-jet's the efi in the 84- 85 318, right? Not the 320 CIS...

I think it's actually a benefit. It's smart enough to

fuel a lot better than a carb, but not so smart as to try

to do more than fuel a 2l engine.

The really nice thing is that if you decide you want it back 'like it should be'

I'll sell you the parts for like $250, and in an afternoon you're there.

Ok, maybe a pleasant weekend, but you take my point. It doesn't

permanently debauch the body like putting a Toronodo engine in the

back seat would.

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL