• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

labored starting issue

tony2002

Just want to pick the collective brains out there about my starter. 71 2002, and upon starting there's a real labor with the motor turning.

Any thoughts out there? I've ordered a new groundstrap from BLUNTTECH, and hopefully i'm going in the correct direction.

The Kopper Kaiser

Photobucket

the the battery is good, I'd suspect the starter motor itself, especially if it's the original one.

The rear armature bushing is brass and is pressed into a plastic sleeve that's in turn pressed into the starter end plate. The plastic sleeve disintegrates over time, so the bushing spins with the armature, setting up a serious drag on the starter motor and slowing it way down.

If that turns out to be the problem and the rest of the starter is OK, I did a column on how to make a new bushing that eliminates the plastic sleeve (NLA from Bosch). Lemme know if I can help.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I second what Mike said - mine did the same, as it had since I bought it in '97. While at a local one man shop for timing issues, he tossed me a delrin (or similar) bushing he had made and told me what to do. He had a drawer full of 'em at the time.

Spins like a champ now.

David

appeared in the April 2004 issue. If you don't have the copy, drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy of the column.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite