• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E30?

JFT

i have both an e30 and an 02. and let me say for simplicty the 02 rocks! the fuel injection to me is a bunch of unecessary crap!!! i an finally getting the hang of where the shorts are and the car is making more sense...

as for fun and drivablity the 02 out shines my 318i. however i do have way more supension on the 02 than the 318i . all in all i would say the 318i is a more complicatied 02 with out the style and pizazz(sp?)

but if you are wanting to get into late model bmws the 318i is probably as basic as you can get in the world of computer controlled FI.

Whoa! Just noticed you have YSR50s! My usual in-town cruiser bike is a RX50, which has the same motor as a YSR50. It's a sweet little run-about that revs like hell, and I've always wanted to try a YSR to see what its like..

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

after acquiring a '91 318iS last May, i decided to divest most of my '02 stable- i'm only keeping my '72 tii.

i can make you a great package deal for two cars, one of which has most of the common upgrades. both are '71 short bumper cars, 1677617 & 1676898. you would need to build a performance motor, i sold mine to jerry curry.

in wildomar, southwest riverside county.

hth

robert w.

i second most of what piere said

i've owned 2002's off and on since 1976

i've also owned a variety of e30's and we still have a 325ix

to get to your question regarding daily driver and maintenance though;

1. the e30 is a really fun car. it is probably the all best iteration of the 3 series BMW ever made, regardless of the model,

2. the 325 model driving experience is completely different from the 318is. the 325 is a tank with good power and fun, great handling when set up properly.

3. the 318is model, IMHO, is the all time best 3 series (ive owned e30, e36, e46, and currently own a e92). it is lighter, more nimble, balanced, tossable and fun. its like the modern version of a tii (i also own a '72 tii).

the maintenance issue is a different story though. the 2002 is a pretty simple car to fix. the e30 can be a headache when it has an issue due to increased complexity of the electronics and engine management systems.

there are a number of common issues that crop up in the e30's such as fuel pumps and relays that are easy to fix but harder to diagnose.

i had an issue with the 318is i owned (wish i never sold) that the front blinkers would blow a fuse when i tried to use them. it turned out to be an internal short in the wiring harness where it makes a 90* turn near the radiator, brittle insulation as it turned out.

if you're an ok mechanic there are websites devoted to the e30 that will help you out a lot in keeping the car on the road. they are great little cars that increasingly are becoming very popular.

good luck!

BTW - the 318is is certaibly NOT 75% as fun as a 2002 to drive (sorry c.d.)

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

My 1991 318i just hit 200k miles and still runs like a top. It's dead-reliable and returns effortless 28 mpg tanks, with upwards of 34 mpg attainable on longer trips. Parts are cheap and access is good. Aside from a couple of electrical gremlins (e.g. wonky tach), it's perfect. I've set this one up for winter commuting, but they respond well to minor mods and are very capable cars with a few tweaks. A limited slip and E36 steering rack swap increase the fun quotient immeasurably.

Overall, great cars!

post-17525-13667622223884_thumb.jpg

post-17525-13667622224791_thumb.jpg

Michael Smith