• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT: some vintage racing clip at Sebring

dubois

Great clip! Thanks for posting. With frame-by-frame view of the pass of the white car @ 1:12 of the film, there is one frame in which the C pillar is 2002-ish, but the other frames it's too wide. The general shape sure looks like an '02.

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

I wonder who the drivers were of the Porsche 917 at the end of the clip.

Any ideas? If memory serves (and it doesn't always these days, and that race was 40 yrs. ago) that was the only race the 917s lost that year. The 512 won but Steve McQueen managed to get the 908 into 2nd overall. Those were the years that the 917s were absolutely dominate.

Bob Napier

Mustang--sure looks like a notchback ponycar to me...if we could make out the number it would be easy to look up...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This is the 1970 Sebring 12 hrs, even though the general description mentions 1969. CharlieG has the correct date in his link.

I thought the car number at 1:11 was 87, which makes it a Mustang.

Drivers of the 917 were (from memory) Pedro, Redman, Sieffert, and Kinnunen. Both cars went out with broken suspensions, if I remember.

This is the race that Mario took over a 512 with about an hour and a half to go, and started running times close to pole speed...at night! Passed Revson with a couple laps to go, but needed fuel to finish. Pitted, exited car, got a couple gallons of fuel, back in the car, and left two black streaks out of the pits in a matter of seconds. I was there.