• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake caliper nipple problem

Napes

Bled the brakes over the weekend, but I was unable to loosen the front caliper lower/outer bleed nipple on both sides. I was unable to get a good purchase with 6" Vise Grips because the nipple is located in an indentation in the caliper casting. I sprayed them with AeroKroil (which has served me well many times over the years to reomve stuborn fasteners), let it soak for awhile, but didn't work. Looking for removal suggestion.

And, once I get them out, I'd like to have spares on hand to re-install. Anyone know the specs to use to be able to obtain spares in advance?

As always, thanks,

Bob Napier

I have used oxy/act heat for three or four seconds directly to the nipple and had great luck. Obvious reasons not to overheat. The caliper is a heat sink and the fluid is tough. Before I get flamed. I said 3 or 4 seconds concentrated on the nipple....

Bob,

You might try a standard sized (smaller then metric) deep well socket and drive it onto the bleeder. I take it that you have been unable to turn the bleeder, and are afraid that it will snap off, or has it rounded off?

If the bleeder is 7mm (0.276"), you might try a 17/64 (0.265") deep well socket.

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

I prefer propane to oxy/acetylene, less chance of melting something but slower to get hot. Try a flare nut wrench or 6 point box or 6 point socket, Never use 12 point on a stuck nut or bolt.

Good luck

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

In the past I have sprayed with penetrating oil, a couple of sharp taps with a hammer, apply heat, more oil, then a deep socket or flare wrench. I have yet to not get one loose this way, in fact I follow those steps every time even if they look clean. It would be a major pain if one broke off.