• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76' 2002 fuel leaks

ceylove

Got my 76' fresh from the shop after being painted, 5-speed conv, and motor freshened, etc. Christmas Eve. Car never got proper shake down, but on way home, at night, of course, after filling the tank noticed big fuel leak puddling under left rear wheel, had to get home (100 miles) so pushed through to get home. My tank has 3 lines coming off of it and I'm not sure which one is fuel feed to fuel pump and which are vents. Owner's manual, service manual, etc has not helped. The leak was from the braided hose that feeds through the trunk to underside of car, over the diff, clipped to the body and finally connecting to a flared steel fuel pipe in front of the driver side drive shaft. It was rotten in several places and not clipped to body so part of it was hanging down being hit by the drive shaft u-joint. So much fuel was leaking here, I can't believe it's just the vent but other's have said the actual fuel line to carb comes out of the fuel sender through the cabin. Then there's another vent on the rubber fuel filler pipe that goes into a catch tank in the trunk, then also through the back seat into the cabin. I've replaced the braided line to the steel line but there's still fuel leaking in engine comp down low, not at fuel pump or carb. Any ideas?

post-16993-13667618287008_thumb.jpg

Ceylon-squarie

...you state: ......"I've replaced the braided line

to the steel line but there's still fuel leaking in

engine comp down low, not at fuel

pump or carb. Any ideas? "

so with a flash light, look for the source - should be easy to see

and replace the next hose and clamps (?)

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

It's the fuel return line from the carb to the tank. The fuel supply line runs inside the car along the driver's side floor just inside the frame rail under the carpet - you certainly don't want leaks there! Like c.d. said just fix it. There's some question regarding the need for that return line. I know that the Weber carbs do not have a return connection - at least I haven't found it. Suggest a search of the forum to see if you can simply plug or remove it, assuming you have the original Solex carb.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

Thanks for input. BTW-I'm running a single weber downdraft not the solex. All the smog stuff has been removed, canister, air pump, etc since it's exempt from smog in CA (listed on title as a '75 not '76) If the weber does not need the return line, I can plug it. I know there's no leaks up to the hard steel line-I'll check more to try to locate the leak.

Ceylon-squarie

Conkitchen-sorry-all the smog gear removed before I took delivery of the car.

I just got all the leaks! This is just the process of getting a new old car dialed in. Usually takes me at least a year or so. Thanks for input.

Ceylon-squarie

I followed what turned out to be the carb return line up to the front of the car. The last person to work on it (who shall remain nameless!) terminated it under the battery and plugged it with a screw, not quite large enough. fuel was at times leaking past the screw pooling up at the bottom of the front valance. This was probably done when the carb was switched from the original Solex to weber. The "fuel smell in cabin" archive in the FAQ had 10 possible sources for the fuel smell. I had 7 out of 10! Slowly eliminating them one by one.

Thanks for all the assistance.

post-16993-13667618339642_thumb.jpg

Ceylon-squarie

.....now you can show us the new paint job

your trunk looked like one of those 'special' colours

shorten up the hose to a nub, correct size bolt, and clamp it.

enjoy the fresh air.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Wow. This is good timing. I'm just starting to get some nasty fuel smell, and noticed a little rainbow puddle under my car at school today. I've got the exact same situation, the hose plugged with a screw. Thanks everyone.

New to the 2002, new to working on cars all together.

-Marshall

Thanks CD Diesel-the paint is Ceylon-not correct for a 76' but I really like the color and rarely see a Ceylon car at the shows. I think it was offered 'for 73-'75.

I'm in the process of converting to chrome Euro bumpers and still putting together parts. For the time being, I'm running bumperless with filled in front valence. I'll duplicate the factory cut outs for the front brackets when the time comes.

post-16993-13667618406185_thumb.jpg

Ceylon-squarie