• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

outside water leak from dash

robsanab

this was the first major rain I'd driven in since the seal and window was replaced (oem seal and pinkerton windshield). I was driving along on the freeway when I felt water dripping on my left foot.

I did have an occasional leak there before the restoration from my horribly dried out windshield seal. It would typically stop once the seal had swelled a bit from being wet. All the seals on the car are now new... the car was repainted with all seals off... so i know the lip around the windshield was rust free and in good shape.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the radio antenna mount???? That seal is not new and I'm not so sure how well it's attached (i think the top screw is stripped... i have to look at it closer). But I can't imagine that letting in so much water. After driving 20 minutes it was a rather steady drip coming off of some future speaker wire I have coiled up there... hence making it hard to determine just where it was coming from... it didn't soak into the new carpet but I did soak a few thick paper towels once I noticed it and pulled over to investigate.

If any of you experienced leaks from the antenna mount... how did you fix it?

Any other nooks and crannies to look in to?? (didn't notice any water coming from the hood cable opening, so that's clear)

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Well, I have no leak like you describe but my antenna upper does have good threads and a small rubber washer on it so I imagine that could be your spot. I'm pretty sure I have a spare upper antenna mount with good threads that you can have if you need it. No charge. Let me know.

Achtung Lieber Himmel!

1976 Rot und Schwartz daily driver "Otto Q. Gilgamesh"

not just my experience from installations - but also

stated in the BMW Repair Manual:

you must inject window sealent between the glass and seal,

and inject sealant between the seal and body - at the lower corners,

and upper corners.

Even with new 'correct' BMW seals, and clean body openings,

the glass and seal do not fit tightly into the 4 corners.

Sure many might say they never inject additional sealent

into the corners of a new seal - but thats fine ONLY for cars

that no longer operate out in the rain.

If you want proof?, lay a garden hose running on the roof,

and lay inside the car under the dash with a flash light.

Also look closely at the INSIDE corners of the dash, and rear deck.

You might see the water coming in between the glass and seal.

It's missed sometimes because of poor light, and the water flow

blends in with the black rubber. After months of this, you eventually

see a lighter dirt streaking inside the seal corners, also from

the sun causing water streaking staining

and sure - your antenna mount will also dump lots of water

2.JPEG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I had a very similar experience, after i had the original windshield replaced with a Pinkerton. To my eye, the pinkerton is too radically curved in the lower corners and is not the same size as the original, causing the seal to 'shrink' inward 3+mm. The result was a lot of water in the drivers footwell.

My fix was to remove the lock bead and silicone the crap out of the lower corners on both sides(inner and outer). Still disappointed about the windshield though. Should have bought BMW glass! CD is right about the sealant! Good luck!

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3