• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal Flare Ideas..

eurotrash

I'm always on the prowl for weld in flare ideas, ever since I saw a touring with NLA aftermarket metal jobbies.. you know the one. And being that all newer cars have half metal half bumper arches, its got to be an 80's model.. Today I was out and about and saw an interesting candidate sitting all rundown in a driveway. The pic isn't the exact car, but you get the idea..

Anyone ever look at the fender flare from this angle? - Using tolerable parts from later cars? I know its a touch blasphemous, but done properly, with the right parts it could be a positive thing, right?

Just askin'..

omni.jpg

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

That is absolutely hilarious that you noticed that those would work. Just goes to show that gearheads think alike. Danuel (my partner in crime) has an Omni at his house and came in raving about how well the wheel arches would overlay onto a 2002. I think you should do it. I tried to convince Danuel to cut the flares off his Omni but it's a GLHS and his brother swears it'll be worth something someday. Yeah, I say, about a buck fifty at the crusher.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

That is absolutely hilarious that you noticed that those would work. Just goes to show that gearheads think alike. Danuel (my partner in crime) has an Omni at his house and came in raving about how well the wheel arches would overlay onto a 2002. I think you should do it. I tried to convince Danuel to cut the flares off his Omni but it's a GLHS and his brother swears it'll be worth something someday. Yeah, I say, about a buck fifty at the crusher.

He has an Omni GoesLikeHellSom'more?!?!? Was that a 2 door hatch or 4? If it's a 4, it will most certainly NOT be appreciating in value but still a cool car in it's own right. Everyone loves a pocket rocket!

Matthew

Chastity: the most unnatural of sexual perversions.

74 tii, 99 BMW R1100R, 99 E320, 01 S4 Avant

Back in '02 at the BMW CCA O'Fest in Keystone CO., at least two cars showed up with these gen-one Golf steel wheel arches front and rear. The cars were not heavily modified and the effect was nearly unnoticeable. I believe it was Mike Self who pointed out these mods to me as we passed by. The cars were from Canada -- Manitoba? Saskatchewan? Don't recall.

I think it would be great to have Matt McGinn or someone experienced with metal try this out and document the process. It would also be interesting to see how much wheel and tire (diameter, offset, etc.) you could stick under there -- especially with coilovers or Ireland Stage II springs.

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Speaking of the Dodge GLH/GLHS "Omnizon", has anyone tried using those door mirrors on their 2002?

Purists may scoff, but I believe their simple, round shape is quite compatible with the looks of an early 2002.

What do you guys think?

D

1986-Dodge-Omni-GLHS.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com