• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coilover Question: shorten front strut housing? Anyone??

steviejr

I agree w/ Rick and Norm. With stock shocks and shortened struts your car's front end will be schizo and may feel like it's on a pogo stick.

Not to be a PIA and pry, but what's your motive? If it's to corner balance the car and use smaller diameter springs (to allow more negative camber due to space) you're on the right track. If you just want it a little lower you can use shorter springs.

74 '02- M2 under construction by SnailPace Restoration, Inc.

88 M3 unmodified when retired from track

97 332is CrewCab (M3/4/5 )

99 MCoupe-- track rat

Depends on how low you want to go. I am running coil overs, stock length tubes, and Bilstein sports, never had a bottoming out issue and the car is actually fairly low. If you were going to race it or seriously drop it in the weeds, then you may want to consider shorter struts to allow more suspension travel.

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i

Yup, if you're going to a 5" rocker height with soft (less than #400) springs,

go the rabbit route.

Strut bottoming hurts teeth and shocks.

If you like the stock stance, then no need.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Depends on how low you want to go. I am running coil overs, stock length tubes, and Bilstein sports, never had a bottoming out issue and the car is actually fairly low. If you were going to race it or seriously drop it in the weeds, then you may want to consider shorter struts to allow more suspension travel.

Not just how low, but how quickly you want to take a corner. If you will be doing very spirited driving - events etc then yes you will run out of travel and your car will push like mad thru the corners. The chassis will take a beating causing the dreaded "dimples" at the radiator support etc because every bump you hit in a corner will be taken on the bump stop.

The short of it is- for "stance" not needed. For real reasons in terms of handling it is needed.

I run 300 pound front springs on coilovers with ireland sways and yokohama advan A048's or falken azenis and I drive on tight twisties- low speed sharp corners and I needed to make this mod.

Here is a how to from my project:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,310574/highlight,shortened+struts/

I cut 2 inches out of mine I think. Whatever Ireland and Ground Control recommended is what I cut out. In hind sight it was too much. At the highest setting I have about a 2 finger gap between fender and top of tire, and there's basically no way to go all the way down to the bottom. Currently I have my coils set at 5 turns from the top and it's pretty flush, any lower and it rubs too. I'd say cut out a bit less than the companies recommend if you are going to do it.

It's all about momentum

FINAL1.jpg

• Administrators
I cut 2 inches out of mine I think. Whatever Ireland and Ground Control recommended is what I cut out. In hind sight it was too much. At the highest setting I have about a 2 finger gap between fender and top of tire, and there's basically no way to go all the way down to the bottom. Currently I have my coils set at 5 turns from the top and it's pretty flush, any lower and it rubs too. I'd say cut out a bit less than the companies recommend if you are going to do it.

You can always use a taller spring.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Rubbing is another issue- separate from ride height. In my opinion wheel and tire combos that "fit" work all the way from full extension to full compression lock to lock.