• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new '73 wiper/turn signal switch, now no stereo.

golf73

my old switch ('73) had 9 pins, with the middle of the 3x3 grid wire (green-white) connecting to a solid yellow wire, which i now know powers my radio. the new one from Bav Auto has 8 pins, so i don't know where i can connect the yellow stereo wire to (has male spade connector). can anyone help me out so i can have some tunes?

also, how do you get the cancelling mechanism to work with a nardi wheel? it used to work occasionally with my old switch, but perhaps that was just because it had worn lobes and would just cancel itself sometimes. is it in the left-right adjustment in the mounting screws of the switch to the column? saw the springy copper pin there on the switch but couldn't figure it out.

[edit] ok looked in my blue book pdf, see that the cancelling cam needs only 0.3 mm clearance! still need help with the stereo, though!

ryan

I chcked the wiring diagrams or your year but could not find a solid YELLOW (GE in German) wire in this harness. However, I did find that there is a GRAY lead (GR) that comes from the Ignition switch and is "on" in the first key position.

Check out the diagram at schematic item 49 Ignition switch and follow this to the 8 conductor connector. The GRAY lead will provide +12 volts.

However, I feel that you would be better served by wiring a new #14 wire directly to the battery thru an in-line fuse (small 2 or 3 amp) to the radio.

post-15539-13667617354606_thumb.jpg

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

I chcked the wiring diagrams or your year but could not find a solid YELLOW (GE in German) wire in this harness. However, I did find that there is a GRAY lead (GR) that comes from the Ignition switch and is "on" in the first key position.

Check out the diagram at schematic item 49 Ignition switch and follow this to the 8 conductor connector. The GRAY lead will provide +12 volts.

However, I feel that you would be better served by wiring a new #14 wire directly to the battery thru an in-line fuse (small 2 or 3 amp) to the radio.

yeah, the yellow wire comes from/was supplied with the radio. it was connected via male/female spade to a green-white wire, which went to the center/9th pin on the switch connector piece. i couldn't find this 9th green-white wire for a radio on any of my wiring diagrams.

also, i do not know where the green-white wire goes on the other side of the pigtail connector. i'll have to get back under there and see if i can trace it to the ignition circuit somewhere. i did get the gray lead hooked to the ignition (that took some patience to R&R).

i suppose wiring the radio directly to the battery would give me radio at any time (without key in ignition and turned to the first stop position). what path would you recommend to get that #14 wire through the firewall into the engine bay to the battery? thinking back, that was how my stereo was wired in my old '67 VW...

btw, thanks for your response dave.

-ryan

Correct switched wire for the radio is the purple striped wire dangling off the back of the hazard switch.

Hook into that and enjoy your tunes again. Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver