• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fairwell Bill Scott

BillWilliams

May you drive the Last Open Road well.

Bill Scott of Bill Scott Racing and owner of Summit Point Motorsport Park in West Virginia, died a few hours ago. He was a contemporary and friend to many of those we call legends in sports car racing.

Bill was a great admirer of our cars and he recently met with us to have a German Car Event at his lovely farm near Middleburg, VA.

Rest in peace Bill!

IMG_6073.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Bill,

Was he the same gentleman that raced a blue 427 AC Cobra (when I was a youngster) at Chimney Rock (NC) Hillclimb, et. al.? A driver by that name won a few years, and had course record for a good while....The announcer used to tell everyone to get back away from the course as he started his ascent, as there were few guardrails, and you could hear that monster leave the start line from the top of the course...My hero until Harry Ingle in a FV took the crown away and let me sit in his car....Hey, when you are 10-11 years old, alliances are mighty fickle...Dave V. in NC

Our thoughts are with him and his family.

Here are some items I found with a short search:

Bill Scott, the longtime owner of Summit Point Raceway and founder of the Bill Scott Racing driver schools (BSR), passed away today after a short illness. He is a former National Champion in Formula Vee, Formula Ford and Formula SuperVee classes. Bill also won the Formula Vee World Championship at the Nurburgring. When Bill first started training other drivers at Summit point he used his BMW 2002 daily driver. He always expressed a fondness for the National Capital Chapter and was very helpful in providing his facility for our driver schools and race corrals. The service will be held on Thursday at Trinity Episcopal Church in Upperville, VA. His son, Jens, advises that to learn more details as they become available, please call Summit Point Raceway at 304-725-8444.

Bill was once a professional formula car driver. He won the World and SCCA Super Vee Championships and raced Formula Ford in both IMSA's early Formula 100 Series and SCCA. Racing was in his blood, and racers were the reason he has been so good to the car club community. He made a LOT less money renting the track to us than he did renting it to the State Department and other protective services training customers, and yet Bill insisted that the weekends be reserved for the clubs.

Bill Scott and Tom Milner (of PTG) used to run the Killer Bee Scirocco around 1980-1985. Tom Davey was the driver. At about 50 seconds in this video you'll see a bit about the car:

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif