• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

removable bell housing?

1972fritz

depth, maybe?

The auto trannys tend to have deep bells for the converter,

and the pilots on the manual trannies are pretty schtubby.

That was what was killing me.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Here in NZ - E30 ones are a lot easier to get, Lots of dead E30 auto's. Not that many 2002's.

However the auto bell housing has a much bigger diameter at the gearbox end, which gives a bit more flexibity if you're making up adapters.

In my case I started by cutting the bellhousing off a dead manual box. The problem was the bolt pattern for the gearbox I was using ended up in the walls of the housing.

Yeah, that got me too, so I cut the bell back further and used a thicker

spacer. Which caused the welder no end of headache. He did a fantastic

job, tho, given what he had to work with.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 6 years later...

Seat-of-the-pantsometer says that 400 ft/lbs will make for a pretty short- lived 245!  And given that the 265 is getting pretty long in the tooth,

(and they aren't all that durable in the race cars.  But more for shifting than outright exploding)

I'd say T5.  Or T56.  But they're big, and wide on the top.

You'll need more diff, too.

t