• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 topless; beginning of the end

conkitchen

Well the postman just delivered what might just be the beginning of the end. My Bay Area Air Quality Management letter came today calling for the $1,000 bounty on my car. Since it meets all the requirements, I will most likely send it to an undeserved early grave, after all the good parts are taken off. That is unless NE1 wants this fun little CA car that passes SMOG! $1,500 with e30 14" bottle caps/BFG touring tires.

Original blue plate CA SMOG car with the top removed and finished off to appear clean and "original" to avoid much scrutiny. Some might say otherwise and so; this is not for you, so stop reading.

4speed/390 non-lsd rear

Turbo body flares,airdam, spoiler

VDO instrumentation: Temp,Volt,Oil

320 radiator

Weber 32/36+ adaptor plate for OEM air cleaner.

Passenger mirror

free flowing exhaust system

wind deflecting screen/removable with storage bag in trunk

standard size sway bars

Lowered springs

shortened rear bumper

Blue coil

air horns

A few other things I can't recall right now

All things in good working condition, drive today anywhere.

Some exterior blemishes such as door dings, shallow dents, chips, and surface rust. Interior is average with minor tear in drivers seat that has been sewn together.

*THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION FOR LOW BALL OFFERS*

Call for details and the price is firm:

925-437-8877

post-2154-13667616673615_thumb.jpg

post-2154-13667616676178_thumb.jpg

post-2154-13667616678229_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

Honestly, I think this car looks great. I hope it lives on to see many more sunny days.

Well it ain't no Andy S job, but respectible none the less.

Thanks for the compliment! It does look good in person especially when washed. It always gets a fair amount of attention.

Just don't drive it any more with a wife and kid now in the picture.

But what do I know

i don't understand? does the car pass smog? mileage? can you send me a few more pics( engine bay, trunk floor, interior) at kpfritz at hawaii dot edu. thanks! I'll be coming to Sacramento for xmas and want to buy an 02 to ship back to oahu.

1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzura (Fiat 124): sold

1992 300ZX Twin Turbo: sunny days

2001 Toyota 4runner: sold

1974 BMW 2002 automatic: daily

1991 BMW 325iC: sold

1986 BMW 528e: daily

i don't understand? does the car pass smog? mileage? can you send me a few more pics( engine bay, trunk floor, interior) at kpfritz at hawaii dot edu. thanks! I'll be coming to Sacramento for xmas and want to buy an 02 to ship back to oahu.

Car does in deed pass CA SMOG.

Mileage is 137K, but it is listed as exceeded odometer so who knows the real number. When are you in Sac exactly? The car is located there for storage. You can come and see for yourself the engine bay, trunk floor, interior etc...

Give me a call when you are sure about it. I don't have additional photos right now since I am 90 miles away from where it is stored.

#925-437-8877

But what do I know

has this car been turned into a convertible, or does it just not have a top? If its got a top to help keep me warm and dry on the long drive back to kentucky (and our friend from Hawaii decides not to buy it), i might be pretty interested in taking it off your hands. john.d.metz AT gmail.com

NO TOP, but warm and water proof coats are in season.

But what do I know

Actually nice and making a convertible top to fit would not be a problem at all.

I'm in NY so just asking - did you brace up the body to make up for the loss of the roof structure?

If it were on the EC I'd be driving it tomorrow.

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

This is cake for any marine - top fabricator.

They bend a couple of aluminum bows to measure and put some sockets with clevis pins in to lock it down. The top is sleeved to accept the bows.

The bottom edges snug down with snaps.

Your choice of 'sunbrella' fabric (I'd pick tan)

Keep in mind the roof at speed is a low pressure zone so the top will want to be sucked away so whatever gets made has to be drum-tight.

The trick part would be above the windshield which could be solved elegantly enough by a channel snugging into a welt sewn on the forward edge of the roof, or if you wanted to make the top easy to attach and fold back a zipper arrangement could be done.

Even better visit a junkyard and see if you can find something adaptable like from a Chrysler...

Now this would be a nice winter project indeed!

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

This is cake for any marine - top fabricator.

....Now this would be a nice winter project indeed!

I have always flirted with the idea of getting a wrecked 325 conv and adapting the roof and side windows to fit. Some simple welding and hand fitting could be done over the winter for sure. There was a 325 top unit with canvas for sale last week in Santa Rosa for $25. I almost called.

Oh well, maybe I'll try sleezeBay with a BIN price before it goes to the bone yard or change my mind and start this as a winter project. All things considered.

But what do I know

I'm pretty sure that I can get a hardtop built for it. Oh, Gosh! What am I saying!

I hear ya! like I need another project. I gotta finish the damb 74 turbo sitting at A1 in Marin. LOL

There was someone in the Bay Area attempting to do a hard top conv at crackhead Ed's-Bay Motor Works in Berkeley. They had a good start in my opinion, but I think they came to their senses. The roof line; of a second car, was cut below each window frame on the back and sides to leave the glass frames in tact. It looked HEAVY to lift.

Anyone on this board know of the car?

But what do I know

I don't know that one. I did see one in Clemmons NC that was in full Cafe style with big big flares and a cow catcher air dam that was all metal. The top was chopped and it was fully removable. I don't know if the car ever saw the light of day. The owner had a roundie with turbo flares and a 6 in her. I bought some flares and wheels from him a few years ago. It was a sight to see.