• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to use urethane bushings?

moloko

Maybe a better title would be "where to use rubber bushings?"

I'm rebuilding the suspension on my daily driver and would like to know where urethane is too stiff. I've already done the whole front using urethane (except the sway bar to subframe bushings because my kit didn't include them). Should I get those in urethane too? Also what do you guys recommend for the rear? Are the subframe bushing inserts worth it? Should I get poly differential mounts or are they too harsh?

Thanks

Maybe a better title would be "where to use rubber bushings?"

I'm rebuilding the suspension on my daily driver and would like to know where urethane is too stiff. I've already done the whole front using urethane (except the sway bar to subframe bushings because my kit didn't include them). Should I get those in urethane too? Also what do you guys recommend for the rear? Are the subframe bushing inserts worth it? Should I get poly differential mounts or are they too harsh?

Thanks

my entire suspension is urethane, including the diff mounts and the rear subframe mount inserts, but not the motor or tranny, and it drives fine, better than stock imho, a big improvement

my tii is also on H&R's/billy sports, 19mm antisway bars

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

Depends on what you want.

I have had both.

Urethane for more instant response for sport/track driving.

Currenlty have rubber for a more comfortable ride.

My experience is that the softer compound is better at taking the high frequency vibrations out and the HD springs and bars take enought roll and dive out.

Ever drive a bone stock 2002 with skinny 165 tires.

It leans like the shit, (soft ride) but is a blast to drive.

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

My plans are pretty much what you have now. I have poly for front to give better steering response but at rear I'm staying with rubber. There I want better sound and vibration resistance. Also in my opinion trailing arm bushings are pretty tight with rubber so I don't see a big benefit. Subframe mount inserts - yes - I'm gonna use them. Sway bar bushings will be urethane because they don't transmit much vibration.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

My car is a daily driver and our vintage rally ride. It sees a lot of freeways, paved roads with potholes, and unpaved roads. No super smooth roadways like on the track.

The only places I used poly-u was on the swaybar end links. Everything else was fresh, stock, rubber parts.

Oh yes, the alternator also has Poly-U.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I plan to use a mix of rubber and poly. All of the harder to replace bushings will be poly and the ones I can easily switch out later like transmission, differential and possibly motor will be rubber. I already have brand new motor mounts, though so I might give it a try and see what its like. Stiffness isn't my biggest concern, its squeeking that drives me insane.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002