• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differential installation

Guarionex

I am changing my differential in a couple of days. Is there any specific way to do this. Should I just follow instructions from the manual? Is there any trick to it? Want to save some frustration. It will be replaced with a similar one.

thanks

Oswaldo

1999 BMW 528i (daily driver)

1976 BMW 2002 (in love with police motorcycle)

1976 BMW 2002 (Auto)

1974 BMW 2002 (donor)

1972 BMW 2002 tii

Dont drop that sucker on your hand as you take out the last bolt. they are heavier than they look, especially while lying on your back under the car.

Support it with a jack on the way down.

That's all I can think of. Pretty straight forward operation.

73 Riviera Daily driver 2002 - MS, 9.5:1, cam, LSD

The disconnection of the driveshaft is the most difficult/time consuming.

A helper makes it go much faster. It seems there is only one place you can get a wrench to the nuts. Break each nut loose having the helper pull on the e-brake as you apply force. Rotate the driveshaft, repeat.

Then if you can get your hands on one of those ratcheting wrenches, it will speed up the removal of those nuts. I just do not like to break loose nuts or bolts loose with ratcheting wrenches.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

The disconnection of the driveshaft is the most difficult/time consuming.

A helper makes it go much faster. It seems there is only one place you can get a wrench to the nuts. Break each nut loose having the helper pull on the e-brake as you apply force. Rotate the driveshaft, repeat.

Then if you can get your hands on one of those ratcheting wrenches, it will speed up the removal of those nuts. I just do not like to break loose nuts or bolts loose with ratcheting wrenches.

I've been able to stick a large screwdriver into the rear U-joint to hold the driveshaft while loosening the nuts.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Be prepared to employ the farmer's breaker bar in your efforts to loosen the driveshaft bolts. This involves finding a steel or iron pipe in your barn or basement, and sliding it over the handle of your wratchet or spanner to increase the length of your lever arm. Hopefully you don't plan on doing the removal today, so you can spray the bolts with a loosener a full day before you climb under the car with a wrench. 30+ years of exposure to road grime will most likely have given the driveshaft bolts a pretty firm grip on their nuts, no pun intended, unless you find that kind of thing funny.

williamggruff

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

thanks a lot to everyone. I appreciate your advise. I feel much better and motivated to get down there and start to get those nuts out.

saludos

Oswaldo

1999 BMW 528i (daily driver)

1976 BMW 2002 (in love with police motorcycle)

1976 BMW 2002 (Auto)

1974 BMW 2002 (donor)

1972 BMW 2002 tii

Clean the 35 years of mung out out the hex sockets in the allen head bolts holding on the half-axle shafts. Use a little screwdriver to dig the dirt out. Undoing these hex bolts is so much easier and quicker with air tools. The reason that God made air tools and impact wrenches were to pull these halfshafts off. I think the hex heads are also less likely to strip when using an impact wrench (as opposed to twisting on a ratchet handle). Either way, make sure the hex bit is seated in there well (I tap mine with a small hammer first), then whacka-whackta WHEEEE and it's out. Repeat 12 times. But the other posters are right about the driveshaft nuts -- air tools don't help you there; there's no clearance.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I just did this and it was A LOT easier with another person helping while you are under the car. The trick I had was not stripping the hex bolts that hold the axles to the diff...What i did to solve that issue was have one person on a pair of vice grips and one person on a hex wrench (socket type) and turn at the same time... they should go easy...also use lots of pblast...WORKS AMAZINGLY AND GOES FAST...as for the drive shaft bolts..I def had to use a breaker bar.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ryan