• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 bmw sitting for almost 20 years

Rurouni09

From what I've learned with resurrecting my 2002 that sat for 20 years in a friends garage, is that you will need to pull the tank and let all the gas evaporate. From there wash it with some Lacquer thinner. Other than that look to make sure everything is there and that the mice havent gotten to everything. I wish you luck!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

***Edit***

first. here's a link to the album where im uploading the photos. im still in the process of uploading them and they may until i am done uploading all the photos.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/rurouni005/BMW%202002/

Second.

I went to the country and finally saw the BMW 2002 my aunt has had sitting for almost 20 years. It is not a tii or a manual, however that can be fixed down the road. In my opinion the car is in fairly good condition. the body is very good with minor rust from what i could see from the back of a trailer. All the glass is in tack. There is a small (2inch) verticle crack at the top middle of the front windshield. Sadly there trailer has a somewhat moist atmosphere AND when it was stored both door windows were left wide open so the seats have mildewed. The cieling fabric is drooping however it seems keepable. The sunroof seems to be in pretty good condition also. As far as the seats go the rear bench seat and the front passenger seat are fine, just need some cleaning, but the driver seat has a tear in it and may be repairable. The dash is in pretty good condition except that appearently something electrical went out in it before it was stored so that needs to be fixed (im guessing the ignition) because that's what seems to be dissasembled from what i could glance looking in through the door. Under the hood was fairly decent however a gasket or something seems to be bad because oil was leaking, i don't know where exactly from, if you look through the pictures and can tell, please let me know. All the original vendor stickers are in tact and everything seems to just need a REALLy good cleaning. I'll be able to give a better diagnostic once i get it out. But the parking brake was on the whole time it was in the trailer so i really really really hope they brakes arent so frozen that it has to be lifted out or fear damaging the tranny by dragging it out. It had 2 keys (which felt VERY brittle) in the ignition so i tried to open the trunk but the keys wouldnt turn so i just put them back the ignition for fear of breaking one off in the slot. again, please enjoy the pictures and im sorry for not being able to get any large shots of the overall vehicle, but once i get it out of the trailer i'll be glad to get some.

It looks like it's probably a '74. I also wonder if the key wasn't working in the ignition anymore; looks like someone was in the process of trying to replace the steering rack. The areas of the car you photographed look solid (some rust on the hood's underside), but the critical areas in question -- inside the trunk and the floors and rockers are unknowns. Also looks like the car has had some paint work at some point (overspray under the hood).

Overall, for a free 2002 -- I'd take it! The automatic is kind of a bummer (for me, anyways). But I'd try to get it running and driving safely (without spending a fortune). All in all, I'd say good find -- if you don't mind a project or a hell of a great parts car.

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

I've never tried to revive a car that's been sitting that long, so perhaps others will have a better, more comprehensive list. But maybe this will help you prioritize so you don't end up dumping money into a car that will take more effort, time or money to get back on the road than you would like.

First, can you find out what's up with the steering column from your aunt? Try to figure out what you'll need to do here and project how much it will cost.

Next, I would drain the gas tank first, replace the fuel filter, drain and replace the coolant and the oil, add a new air filter, new plugs, cap and rotor. Then try to get it to turn over and run. You'll probably be able to assess if the rest of the car is worthy of getting it up to snuff once you have gotten to this point.

So next steps would be replace brake lines/bleed brakes, trans and diff fluid change. Might as well go ahead and replace the rear wheel cylinders before you bleed the brakes. They will be leaking anyways after sitting so long and it's an easy job.

You should be close to being able to drive the car around a bit at this point to assess what else it will need. You'll definitely need new tires and a new battery. I'd also splurge for a pertronix electronic ignition. You'll also need to address the suspension. Probably new shocks, struts and most likely most of the bushings, ball joints, etc. You'll also need to find your oil leak; it's likely that it's just the valve cover gasket, an easy fix.

Again, hopefully others will chime in as I've probably missed something.

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

i wish she could tell me but she can't. her and her husband divorced and since she ended up with the car she's giving it to me and they are no longer on good terms so to speak. I'm already starting to collect fluids for when they get replaced and some other miscellaneous things to help get it cleaned up good once i get it out of the trailer. my mom works for an auto parts shop so i luckily can get a decent price on most things. hopefully all will go well and it will be out of the trailer soon, i've got to wait for my other uncle so he can get his trailer set up for it

I've actually got a spare E21 steering column if it's any use to you (as well as a complete M10, 4 speed, pedal box, steering box, master cylinder, etc. from my 02). My project left me with a lot of pieces left over from a 74 2002 with ~46K miles out of California. Let me know if you need anything.

Take care,

Noah

997 Launch Edition

89 Wrangler

76 2002 Widebody

Your photos lead me to believe that you'll have at least one more horsepower than a stock '02, az well as a good source of replacement stuffer for the seats.

williamggruff

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”