• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grill slat replacements - alternatives to OEM??

im3crazy

Just noticed my top DS grill slat was missing.

I did a number of searches here and Google but didn't find any suggestions for anything other than OEM replacement parts.

Anybody use other materials for a grill slat replacement e.g. aluminum extrusions etc?? I have a '70 with blacked-out grill.

All ideas welcomed.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

I used wooden dowels for the center grill before. I guess you could use a small square cross section piece of wood to replace just one horizontal one on the left or right.

They do make some small rectangular section aluminum extrusions that could be fashioned into a replacement slat.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

Hey Dave,

Next time your up in my area drop by. I have a few beat-up grills you can scavenge one off...

KC

edit... forgot to mention that Plastidip looks pretty decent on grills if you paint them up after removing the metal covers.

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

thanks KC I appreciate that!I'll drop u a line next week to see when you'll be in. The Plastidip is a great idea for covering these.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!