• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

automatic to manual conversion questions

Durandal

so my auto tranny took a dump, so I figured Id start to look for a manual replacement the question I have is what other parts do I need for the conversion that I may not have thought of, Obviously I'll need the transmission, another pedal box, different shaft from the tranny to diff,

but what else? since it was an automatic (11/73 model 74) will I need to change the exhaust manifold? or is that fine since the manual transmission will be smaller than the auto and the auto cars trans tunnel is larger?

Ideally I would like to find an M10 or M20 wreck and cannibalize it to all hell which would ensure I get all the parts I need.

Ive actually read the first one, but the second one is a broken link to me...

Ive tried to use a cached version in a search engine but parts of it are missing (all the links are dead, photos are missing)...

are you able to see it? or hopefully there is a pdf snapshot of the page in someones possession?

• 1 year later...

front to back, off the top of my head just for kicks...

Brake/clutch fluid res.

Pedal box w/ NEW clutch master cyl. and Flex line to slave. (5 speed uses a different piece.)

Flywheel machined 228 or 215mm. 215mm unless you have plans for big power..

NEW corresponding clutch kit with throw out bearing.

NEW bearing in crank end

NEW rear crank seal and housing gasket (just because)

NEW slave cyl.

Trans. 4 speed uses the same cross member mounts on the car. Reuse the auto crossmember, its better for guibo installation. (Good time for 5 speed consideration 1. The tunnel is bigger. 2. The automatic car exhaust down pipe accommodates the larger trans, etc. 3. Having 5th is incredible. Just add new trans mount brackets or cut and move your originals back 3.6" )

NEW 320 Transmission mount

NEW Guibo/nuts/bolts

Drive shaft. (Shortened 3.6" on the front if 5 speed)

Speedo cable works for either trans.

Exhaust is fine. Just reuse the automatic down pipe support if 4 speed. It is different than a 4 speed down pipe support bracket. The 4 speed piece won't connect squarely with the auto DP.

SHEW!

Should be all..

Oh, add an e 30 M3 starter while you are in there, and ditch the bracketry for the kick down cable from the auto trans. It makes starter changeout a real bitch.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002