• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E24 recaro's, what's different from e21's

Turb02

not often you get it wrong CD - early 6 series had the same e21 style recaros before they changed over to the later e30 style ones. I've got some for my Tii - I think there was even a change over period where they went from high floor mounts (a la 2002) to lower floor mounts (like the e30) but for a while used the early style seats - these ones had a very heavy height adjustment bolted to the bottom to make up the difference.

So short answer; the early 6 series seats are fine, the later ones are rubbish (for our cars).

early seats:

0518_1.JPG

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Guest Anonymous
for a while used the early style seats - these had a very heavy height adjustment bolted to the bottom to make up the difference.

I found your reference to the heavy height adjustment funny. I used those seats in my tii too. At first they were a big disappointment. They had been recently reupholstered and after installation, my head touched the headliner and I was fearful of tearing it.

I pulled the foam seat pads and modified the sprung supports upon which they sat. This reduced my seating position by close to 3". My wife jokes we both need to lose some weight now that we sit so close to the floor. (She said the same thing about my 67 A.H. Mark III) Unfortunately, getting in and out of the car is not as easy as it could be. Its more like crawling in and out of a cockpit. It also creates a false sense that the gravity center has been dramatically lowered, resulting in much greater tire wear. Guess you can't have everything ;)

sorry Nick - I based my opinion on my memory of

breaking my back lifting too many Coupe seats

out for seat-adjuster/pivot repairs. The electric

versions are a ton. Maybe our USA spec, full-luxo

optioned seats are different than the plain-jane

manual units 'over-there' ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I'll cut CD a little slack on this one.

US 6s didn't get sport seats until 85, so unless you saw gray-market cars, you never saw the real Recaros in a 6er.

The later (83? on) 6 series sports seats are more closely related to the E28 and E30 sports seats and I don't think they were made by Recaro.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

I'll cut CD a little slack on this one.

US 6s didn't get sport seats until 85, so unless you saw gray-market cars, you never saw the real Recaros in a 6er.

The later (83? on) 6 series sports seats are more closely related to the E28 and E30 sports seats and I don't think they were made by Recaro.

CD's unblemished record remains intact, if a little US centric!

Here are pics of the seats, are they early model E24's?

Cheap chinese knockoffs. I'll take those off your hands and dispose of them properly if you like.

No charge.

Well thanks for the offer but they arent mine...yet. I gotta find out what they came out of before I offer to take them off this guys hands, if they will work and not be really high in the 02 or heavy.

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

so these will mount to the stock location and are relatively light AND wont sit high?

Only if you unbolt and throw away the height adjusters - they weigh a ton and raise the seats a lot. But yes, that's what I've got waiting to go in (caveat - you will need 02 runners and may need to redrill etc - nothing is ever a simple bolt in job unless it's stock)

Well thats a given, the fact that its not a "bolt-in" process and may need some "finess" isnt that much of an issue. I emailed the guy about the seats and am waiting to hear from him regarding some questions about the seats.

Im curious if he will take less for them than he is asking...

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold