• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you guys think? Hopefully will be my first 2002....

phoenix

Giving serious thought to purchasing this 73’, wanted some thoughts and opinions first.

From the ad: Rebuilt engine runs strong, starts quickly, does not drop oil or smoke and has excellent compression on all cylinders. Solid body with very little rust- this is a CA blue plate car! Holley carb with tii distributor, petronix electronic ignition. All new exhaust system and braking system with new rotors/drums, pads/shoes and calipers (brake master cylinder still needs to be installed and comes with the car). Momo steering wheel, aftermarket carpet kit, very clean 320i front seats, standard cracks in the dash with custom cover. Shortened front bumper and 320i wheels with good tires. Performance springs and Bilstein shocks give it a great stance. Repaint in the original Malaga color, but the clear coat is peeling badly on hood, roof and trunk. Swipe dents in driver’s door and edge of rear corner panel (see picture), but does not affect operation of the door. Asking $3500

3387108404_c4f1a3786b.jpg

Clearcoat on hood, roof and trunk all in same condition.

3386295479_be66bd5ec1.jpg

Rusted rocker, definitely have seen worse.....

3386295373_d92c8c6d6d.jpg

Said door swipe.

Spoke with the owner and it sounds like a solid car minus the listed cosmetic flaws. I would have it resprayed in the near future and have the door work done at the same time. So sounds like a decent deal to me, a little work and this could have great potential.

What are your opinions? I really want to pick it up, but just want to see what the masses think. BTW, this would be my first 02’!

Rear shock tower rust?

Take a GOOD look at the rocker rust! Probe with a small screw driver.

Floor pan rust?

Frame rail rust?

Engine and the rest of the drive train are really somewhat inconsequential. Body work drains the wallet real fast! It's the body of these cars that you pay for! Anyone can slap a decent motor and steering wheel in one.

If the rust you showed is really all there is? Start at $2500 and then go up.

Nuova Strada

www.nuovastrada.com

Weber granted Holley a license to build a Weber 32/36. It's a little different, my former 73 Bav had two of them on the car when I bought it. Problem was the car sat for 10 years before I bought it and the carbs had to be totally rebuilt due to the gas sitting in it for years. I came across a dual Weber setup and decided to ditch the Holley setup and go with Webers.

For more info on Holley Carbs built under license from Weber, check this link out

http://home.att.net/~CapriClubChicago/hol5200.htm

The Holley 5200 is almost identical to the Weber 32/36 DGV (and even closer to the Weber DFV), and was used on a ton of 4 and six-cylinder Dodge and Ford products, among other things. Be careful with these – the castings are reportedly inferior to the Weber part, and some have much smaller throats than the 32/36.

Caveat Emptor, If you buy this car, I recommend that you just keep searching Craigslist parts section for Weber carbs, they are for sale from time to time. If you are in Santa Barbara, I know local 02 enthusiasts who have them in their parts bin who may be willing to part with a Weber.

If you are in Santa Barbara, you will want an 02 with a sunroof, trust me.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Giving serious thought to purchasing this 73’, wanted some thoughts and opinions first.

You have come to the right place, laddy! You need to look at a few similar 02's to have a point of reference. Look at some comparably priced ones and some in comparable condition. Only after doing some comparison shopping will you have a good idea of what it is worth to YOU. I have seen cars like that priced lower AND higher. The question for you is how much do YOU wanna pay and are your expectations realistic at that price point? The rule, as has been stated ad infinitum on every enthusiast site is buy the most expensive car YOU can afford. You won't save any money in the long run by getting a rock bottom-priced collectible/semi-collectible...ask me how I know.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70