• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling the Pilot Bearing.. ( without a puller)

Meintii

I have a very nice slide hammer that fits into the hole but it just won't budge. After an hour under the car pounding away I had only managed to eat up the inside lip of the bearing. I even ground the leg so that it formed a better "hook" onto the pilot bearing. I think the issue that I have, that is making this hard, is that it seemed to have failed while the transmission was in. This may have caused it to really get stuck in there. 

I have two drill bits that should be able to bite through this bearing assuming my drill doesn't die out first. 

Engine comes out tomorrow. It is just hanging in there by the mounts, I prepped everything. Making a list of what I need to do while it is out today and if things go as planned I'll have it back in by nightfall. 

It is always an adventure working on these old cars ;)

If I had more time I'd source a new crank that has the larger sealed bearing.

Edited by bazju

The autozone puller worked for me...I did have to grind it down a little...However I was sneaky...Those rentable tools always come greasy and grimey, so I made the freshly gound areas just as dirty as the rest of the tool and returned it.....no problems...

Brian

72inka

Your'e the kind of customer every business needs :angry:

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Have you tried using a torch to warm it up a bit?  It should at least smell good, with all that bread in there!   :P

You might also try tapping on the outer race with a punch and hammer.  Not too hard, but just enough to shock it loose.

Seems backwards to tap it in, but it may help break it free.

My grandmother told me a trick for removing old nails... smack them in a whack, then pull them out.

Pullers are working on the inner race with the bearings to absorb the shock, while all the friction is on the outer race.

Tap, tap, tap, then pull ! !

Since we are talking about slide hammers... I welded a 5/16" bolt (I think) to the end of mine and screwed that into the adjuster on a pair of vice grips.  One of the handiest tools in the shop now!  (even works on old nails)   :)

003.jpg

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

Thanks for the insight Mintgrun. I was using a torch when I was trying to use my slide hammer. I think once the engine is out I'll be able to really get at it much better. Something about being upside-down with dirt and grime falling on me makes me lose motivation pretty quick.

I'm excited to get to work today and see what happens. 

Edited by bazju

That's the spirit!  You will WIN... that's what will happen. 

WIN! Just got it out! It was a combination of pushing the bearing IN just a tiny bit, applying A LOT OF HEAT, and REALLY cranking down on the slide hammer to ensure a good grip. About 5 good whacks and it started to move, kept it going and out it came. Such a weight off my shoulders now. Thanks for all the help guys, another 2002 will be on the road soon now!

Here are some pictures of my efforts hah

This sucks:

IMAG0996_zpsf3719ed0.jpg

YAY!

IMAG0998_zps0a08b130.jpg

Ew..

IMAG1000_zpsf3ef7caf.jpg

The needles were ALREADY pushed back when I pulled the trans. That bearing was TOAST

IMAG1001_zps26d36a2a.jpg

Almost clean!

IMAG1003_zps42389517.jpg