• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1991 318is vs 1997 z3 1.9

Ray_73Turkis_OH

I will be using this as a daily driver that will include lots of highway miles.

I would like to hear your thoughts on these.

Here are two examples of what I am looking at. Models stay the same, but specific examples can change.

5 speed mandatory.

1991 318is 140,000 mi well maintained and in nice original shape ~$2500.

1997 z3 1.9 80,000 mi original and nice. ~$9,000.

I tend to own cars for a very long time and would look at these like my 1973 2002 where I would drive it and repair/rebuild/restore as I go along.

I like the looks of both.

z3 with top up has to be quieter than my 2002 (correct?)

z3 is much newer so should have fewer immediate repair needs.

Do golf clubs fit in a z3 trunk?

Kfunk, I am an XL size so I fit in the z3 better than a miata.

Regards,

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

I have never driven either one, but I am more interested in having a '91 318is myself. I am sure that I would like it a lot. The E30 design is classic BMW to me; more so than the Z3. Just an opinion.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

A friend of mine has the 1.9 Z3 and loves it. Very economical, but he puts it up every winter. To me, I'd go with the E30. YOu live in Ohio so the benefit of the convertible is short lived, while the bad part of the convertible lasts a long time. That being the poor sight lines with the top up. Driving as many miles as you do, vision and daylighting in the car are primary safety issues to me at least.

If the body is good on the is, then you can do the suspension, bushings and brakes, drive it for a year and search out a donor motor and you are good to go. But, I'd try to grab the Z3 too, so you don't get bored with one car;)

we had a 97 Z3 that we sold 5 years ago, for what I think it was 13k, and only 32k miles. Car was perfect. I would check the pricing on this one (Kelly BB, Craigs list,etc) The car was a blast, the 1.9 was the right engine for that car, easy to drive, economical. Problem was, with the top up, it lacked visibility and it felt cramped. Even in CA, there were not enough "perfect days"for aconvertible. I said it brfore, there are two kinds of people in this world: people that love convertibles, and the rest of us, that think we would.

Go for the 318i!

FAQ Member # 91