• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 Verona Sunroof 2002 by Eurotrash

eurotrash

Well, its on.

Postie delivered me a set of Yamaha 40mm carburetors from a model year 2000 R1.

I will be working with a local fabricator to build a manifold. It will either be fab'd from a cut down 2bbl aluminum piece, or possibly built from scratch with a template made from the bmw manifold for the mounting flange.

I would prefer aluminum, but I may end up with steel if the cost is too high.

I am working on the plan of attack for the carbs themselves. I need to rejet them and make the necessary adjustments beyond that. Interestingly, I read that the main jets are swappable with Weber DGAV mains..yet to be confirmed. Otherwise, drilling the main jets is the way to go.

Lots to learn. Lots to learn...

ed2dd7e0.jpg

4/30/9

I found this pic of a 2002 motor in a later car. looks sweet...

m10wbikecarbs.jpg

5/5/9

This pic is from the Bogg Brothers site in the UK. I am meeting with a guy tomorrow to see what we can do for something similar.. More later..

4cylmani.jpg

5/6/9

The Mikuni carbs run a 1.2 main jet. Bogg Brothers state that a 2 liter requires that you drill the jets out to 1.8 or use Weber parts..

dgavmain.jpg

I ordered weber DGAV main jets in 180 and 185 to go with a 292 cam in a ported E12 head. Thinking about an O2 sensor for setup vs. dyno time. Dyno maybe for final tuning if necessary..

More later...

8/20/09

It finally came. An e12 head that I had reworked in preparation for the heavier breathing carbs. Ported, 292 regrind, 3 angle valve job, new rocker shafts, locks and seals, etc. I'll add some new studs, etc..

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2944.jpg

Getting closer!! I have the DGAV jets in hand for tuning the carbs, the refurb'd head, and the full IE shorty header/ SS exhaust in place.

After brainstorming with Todd Fugate while performing the brake upgrade, my next move is to purchase four pieces of 45 degree bend, 1.75" silicon pipe to mate to my set of early Tii manifolds at the head, then on to the 40 mm carb throats with a little 40 mm i.d. aluminum pipe in between as a starting point for testing..

More later...

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

man, you're going all out.

Can't wait to see where this goes. Do the bike carbs mount directly to the head on the bike, or is there a manifold there too? What do the mounting flanges look like?

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

man, you're going all out.

Can't wait to see where this goes. Do the bike carbs mount directly to the head on the bike, or is there a manifold there too? What do the mounting flanges look like?

Not sure how it mounts on the bike exactly, but it does use rubber couplers between the head and the carbs.

(O=o00o=O)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting ready for the better flowing head and carbs, I started at the back and will work my way forward!

Mike and I removed the old system and tucked the new stainless variety in in just over one hour with tweaking. I had to ditch the carrier bering heat shield to make room for the center resonators..

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

I love the exhaust note and the lack of busted internal baffles that I suffered from before!!!

More later..

(O=o00o=O)

I had to ditch the carrier bearing heat shield to make room for the center resonators..

Jason, I'd try to get something back in there to keep some of the heat off the carrier bearing, they live a pretty rough life anyway and the additional heat will kill it sooner than expected.

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

These look great for 50 bucks!! Much better than the 320/2002 hodge-podge that the car came with..

The only issue, besides the fact that the drivers seat is shifted outboard by about 1.5" llike the 320 seats, is that the seat belt receivers are not bolt on and don't accept the 2002 belt hardware. They are tack welded into the end of the adjustment mechanism bar that runs under the seat. -so for now I am dealing with two sets of receivers!

The 323 receivers also have a tab that connects to the seat rails that is not present in the 2002. So I cut off the tab because it hit the floor and didn't allow the seat to mate to the mounting surface. I may switch to the 320 hardware and ditch the 2002 receiver, or swap in an entire 320 belt system if it will go. Otherwise, I grind off the tack weld, remove the receiver, and then re-tack things back together..

Regardless of the details, they look great!!

IMG_0494.jpg

(O=o00o=O)

This was cake. I just had to notch the window rubber to accommodate for the angle of the post from the additional rake that the 320 windshield has.

Otherwise, its a direct swap. It looks to add probably around 30-40% more visibility out the back..

IMG_0493.jpg

(O=o00o=O)

Copied from the original post, here are my findings on the possibility of swapping a front bumper from an '83 320is onto my 2002.

OK.

Here's the word.

IMG_0863.jpg

I pulled the 320 and the 2002 bumpers. It was hot as L out in the street, but I got a good comparison and even got the 320 bumper mounted on my shortened shocks!

The accordions line up perfectly, but there will need to be some slight fabrication and or massaging of the mounting locations of the shocks, but its totally doable. I think that using the shock to bumper bracket off of the 320 shock end in place of the 2002 may be the ticket..

In the album of pics there is a shot of the bumpers on the ground side by side. The shock mounting points are obviously wider on the 320, but not by much. With custom tubes to replace the shocks, it would tuck in perfectly.

The key is that the inner contour of the bumper is almost dead on the contour of the nose. If one chose, only a little bit of metal removal on the inner corners of the top half of the bumper would make it spot on.

At the end of it all, I just left my bumper off, that assembly weighs an effing ton!

Below is a link to the detailed pics.. Enjoy!

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk299/jasongipson/320%20bumper%20on%202002/

(O=o00o=O)

I'm peeing on this bush so I can find it later. Great thread!

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

• 1 month later...

It's ON!!!!!

IMG_2391.jpg

After getting our @sses handed to us on our first attempt the day before, John and I fell in on Sunday armed with more info, tips and well arms (thanks Mike!!).

Things we learned.

1. NO lock strip until after the windows are in. ( We couldn't get it to work)

2. Lube the body with Vaseline.

3 Insert the rope so that it ends at the top center rather than the bottom. (thanks 02Monster)

4. Elmer's rubber Cement works for gluing in the head liner. don't sweat finding the Wurth's if its not easy..

5. Set the bottom in tight and its smooth sailing when working top down.

6. Use soapy water spray on the locking strip installation.

Thanks for the seals Blunt, thanks for the help JB and Mike, the beer from Miller High Life, and of course the deliciously prepared food from Karie and Brandie!

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

And the final product!!!! So sahhhweet looking and no more wet floors when it rains!!

IMG_2428.jpg

And then of course we had great chili and Mexican corn Nacho Libre` style thanks to Karie and Brandie!!!

IMG_2426.jpg

(O=o00o=O)

• 2 weeks later...

Todd Fugate is the man, and so is his friend Jimmy with the stellar garage.

I scooted four hours south on Friday last to Knoxville for a brake job, and this is what I left with!!

SEE THE FULL CONVERSION FAQ HERE:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,345158/highlight,/

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

I will be posting a large pictorial on the rear conversion here int he blog in the near future..

(O=o00o=O)

So the final piece of the exhaust puzzle has arrived! No, its not ceramic coated, and yes it has bosses for a stock heat shield, but for $175 from IE with the SS downpipe, I ain't compainin'!! I just wanted a little better flow for the new head that's coming, and to stop the flow of oil down the side of my block from the studs that are slightly backed out.

So I got my but kicked working by myself. Had to correct some buggered threads in the head, and re-hung the exhaust alone. It was a full day of work.

The new header and down pipe are a tighter fit to the floor of the car than the stock automatic down pipe. I had the exhaust perfect before this phase. I had to rework it all and never quite got it right.. The front hanger on the rear muffler section is useless because its so high. I may be able to adjust for this but I don't think so.. That, and I couldn't get the donut gasket to seal and I have a sputter under the car now.. grrrr. But I will get it hammered out eventually. Once I get a second set of hands to help out..

And don't judge me for my #1 plug wire. The previous matching one was rubbing a wire loom on the firewall and wore through creating an arc, fortunatly I had a 320is parts car int he driveway to borrow from.. So zip it!

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2934-1.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

(O=o00o=O)

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be nuts when you have the LSD and a 5 speed. That will be a hugely positive addition, I would think.

I'll have to get a ride in your car at some point - I'm curious how different the suspensions feel - stock worn out on oem wheels (mine) vs. your stiffer springs, lowered suspension, stiffer sidewalls, smaller steering wheel, etc. I would think it would feel like two totally different cars.

Great write-ups by the way. You are making so much progress.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI