• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 Verona Sunroof 2002 by Eurotrash

eurotrash

I guess I will start by saying, HELL YEAH! I finally purchased my first running 2002!

How it began:

About four years ago while visiting my brother (Hi Bryce) in LA, I had a funny little car zip past me and it had me tingling, I HAD to find out what it was.

Being that I had been a hardcore MOPAR 'A' body fanatic for years, it was weird to me that a foreign car would make me react so profoundly!!

I flew home a few days later and almost immediately jumped on the compy and began researching. Within a few months my beloved 340 4 speed 1969 Valiant, that I had built from scratch from a lowly base model slant 6 car to a rough and tumble street racer, was on the auction block. Over time I had become increasingly enchanted with the 2002's mechanics, its perky little stance, and the fact that its a 4 banger!

In the summer of '06 I purchased a non-running 71 parts car with the understanding that I knew NOTHING about these cars. So the logic was, buy a basket case and tear it down. What better way to learn the lay out and details of a car? Later that summer I made the move to buy a car that I would want for my project. And ALAS, I found an orphaned Inka roundie out of LA and had it shipped here to Cincinnati. But, as quietly as it rolled in to my garage, it rolled right back out. Troubled times hit and I sold it to JohnySquare to park next to his cherry poppin' 76 rust rocket. Sad day. But the silver lining is the fact that he and I are now good friends and from what I can tell, we just might be this cities most fervent and active 2002 owners! (While we have spotted a few cars, we have yet to have been approached or contacted by more than one other owner.. helloooooo?!)

So my 2002 habit stagnated for a year or so... until just now! I simultaneously picked up another basket case 1600 to part out as well as my first running 2002!

Out of sunny CA comes my very own San Francisco treat!

1975 Verona #2380399

Sunroof

Auto converted to 4 speed

Weber 32/36

New Bilsteins

Rear strut brace w/ battery tray

De-smogged

Bottle caps

More later..

post-3771-136676012243_thumb.jpg

Edited by eurotrash
  • Like 1

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

The first thing!? -- the NOS 1600 turn signals I bought over a year ago.

I have lots of ideas and a general plan. I am always keeping my eyes peeled for cars to model after. I like the sportier more aggressive looks. I don't want to mod the body or repaint, but I do want to make some common cosmetic alterations. I have the parts for a bumper conversion, long or short. I have a '71 grill set and a 1600 grill set. I am developing a look in my head.. we will see. I want a new steering wheel, I'm not in love with the later stock piece..maybe the 320is version if I can get my brain wrapped around the conversion before I purchase a wheel. Loose the font shims, at first, then a lowering sport spring set. Wheels, I want either style on the "WHEELS WHEELS WHEELS" sticky, it just depends on the overall look I settle on. I have an image in my head that has a lot of bright work. The polished roundels for the hood and trunk, a slight rake on turbines. -early bumpers. A trunk spoiler.

I have performance ideas as well. The most unusual being that I intend to use Yamaha R1 40mm bike carbs instead of the dual weber set up. Of course I will probably end up with big brakes as well..

Oh, and I have a 5 speed conversion that I just pulled out of a 1600.

- the list goes on.. but it will be tight, tasteful and well done no matter which way I go..

post-3771-13667601302606_thumb.jpg

(O=o00o=O)

let the mods begin! i need to start stocking up the parts..

hmmm..phase one..

ground control suspension

poly bushings everywhere

i.e. swaybars

i.e. radiator

phase two

brake upgrade

phase three

then comes the engine stuff..

Heyyyyy. Who's project blog is this any wayyyyy. ??

I want to get springs as well. If nothing else, remove the spacers.

NewRaceCar.jpg

(O=o00o=O)

let the mods begin! i need to start stocking up the parts..

hmmm..phase one..

ground control suspension

poly bushings everywhere

i.e. swaybars

i.e. radiator

phase two

brake upgrade

phase three

then comes the engine stuff..

Heyyyyy. Who's project blog is this any wayyyyy. ??

I want to get springs as well. If nothing else, remove the spacers.

LOL! just sharing wish lists for the "twins"...

2xM3

I bought NOS euro sigs a while back and nooB nooB nooo, I learned that I had to convert them to American spec 2 conductor light bulbs like the originals. I read a bit and learned some. And then ran with the concept. This is what I did this afternoon.

Its a two part tutorial because I can only attach 5 images at a time..

post-3771-13667601503829_thumb.jpg

post-3771-13667601504983_thumb.jpg

post-3771-13667601506007_thumb.jpg

post-3771-1366760150694_thumb.jpg

post-3771-1366760150813_thumb.jpg

(O=o00o=O)

• 2 weeks later...

So I took possession of the car with a back seat that has no rips or tears, but was literally vinyl on springs. Today I re-stuffed the base. Pretty easy process. Not bad for my first time.

I spent $96 and change on the following supplies, enough for the back and base..

2 yards of denim for a base on the springs

120" of 1" thick, 25" wide high density foam

3/8" batting doubled over the foam

Spray adhesive

Here is the seat base top ready to strip down. It is so very in need of some love..

IMG_3251.jpg

On the drivers end of the seat base was an interesting sticker..

IMG_3235.jpg

And the ratty under side.. Almost no horsehair left..

IMG_3250.jpg

After peeling back, to a vertical position, all of the rusty little tabs, and opening the hog rings, I removed the vinyl and got down and dirty. I traced the vinyl seat bottom onto the denim loosely, and cut this out to form a spring liner. I traced this piece onto the 1" foam and cut this out. I traced the foam onto the batting and yes, I cut that out as well. BUT I cut inside the line an inch or so to form the seat top. The foam and the denim will wrap around the seat frame to emulate the shape created by the former stuffing.

Using 3M spray adhesive, I glued all the pieces together to look something like this..

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

Once the glue dried, I rolled the padding over and set the frame into place on the denim side. I then used an upholstery needle and thread to anchor the pad to the frame.

I set the cover on the floor and worked the frame and pad into place, SEAT FRONT FIRST. Wrap the edges up and over the frame and try to hit the same holes for the tabs as were originally used. Have someone on tap to compress the seat springs to provide slack where needed.

IMG_3343.jpg

Badda Bing! Better than new..ish. And ready for a good scrub!

IMG_3344.jpg

[/i]

The back was a bit more tedious. I need to re-work it ot get the waves out. But over all its a huuuuuge improvement!

IMG_3356.jpg

(O=o00o=O)