• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ramflo filters vs twm vs dblias airbox?

mtriple

hello

I am getting ready to finally install the tii booster/relocate battery for clearance and I am trying to decide on what's best for my twins:

1) ramflo filters

2) twm airbox with a k & n cone filter at the end

3) the dblias airbox ( the all black one 002 that doenst require dblias intake manifold) I think this one might have an internal air filter.

Can I get some pointers on what is the best setup? I know there is a theory somewhere that can get me educated.

TIA

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

there's very little room even with a tii booster-

of your 3 options, only ramflo fits.

k&n might have something, but you'd need base and end plates.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

depends on what you define as "best". sounds like the ramflo is the only thing that fits, but iirc, they are just filters on the stacks. if you are looking for best performance, the theory says this is not a good option. they draw warm air from around the engine. warm air = lower power. to optimize power, you need something that ducts air from the front of the car...the relatively "cold" air compared to engine compt air. cold = denser charge = more power. on a street car, this difference may not be a big issue though.

2xM3

there's very little room even with a tii booster-

of your 3 options, only ramflo fits.

k&n might have something, but you'd need base and end plates.

t

Toby,

Could you elaborate: what fitment issues will I have with tii booster and no battery upfront? mounting?

Thanks

Hamada

depends on what you define as "best". sounds like the ramflo is the only thing that fits, but iirc, they are just filters on the stacks. if you are looking for best performance, the theory says this is not a good option. they draw warm air from around the engine. warm air = lower power. to optimize power, you need something that ducts air from the front of the car...the relatively "cold" air compared to engine compt air. cold = denser charge = more power. on a street car, this difference may not be a big issue though.

I should have been more clear: Best as in performance and functionality. I wonder if anyone on this board ever used TWM airboxes..search is not coming up with results...

Hamada

Hamada,

If ya wanna short roadtrip, you might bring the car to Huntington and talk to these guys...

http://www.coastfab.com/itgairfilters.html

... or send 'em pics and see what they suggest. I like itg.

Cheers,

Ray

Hello Ray,

Thanks for the link. It looks like I might end up having them fab one for me. Ronin autowerks is offering to fab an aluminum box. I just need to do my homework first and see all options.

I remember seeing somewhere an explanation to how this part works (as in I need this much clearance to get the proper amount of air being sucked by the horns)..I just can't find it..

Hamada

I remember seeing somewhere an explanation to how this part works (as in I need this much clearance to get the proper amount of air being sucked by the horns)..I just can't find it..

Hey Hamada,

Here's the info: Weber advises that the distance from the mouth of the carburetor (in this case the entry of the air horn) to the nearest obstruction (in this case the inner surface of airfilter) should be at least equal to the bore diameter of the carburetor intake. Note: meaning the bore of the air horn, not the diameter of the entry flare of the air horn.

HTH,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com