• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tranny being weird

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my tranny is messed up. the stick is like wobbley. its not centered as if a bolt came loose. and when i go into second gear sounds like its grinding against something. like knives getting sharpened. iono maybe something is touchin but can you guys help please?

Try pulling up on the stick and see if it slides off, mine did the same thing and it was because the lower shift lever broke in two inside the chrome upper shift lever and I had no leverage whatsoever when I shifted.

I replaced the lower shift lever and all the bushings and shifts beautifully now whereas before I could barely get it to go into reverse and I would hit the buttons on the radio every time I shifted into first and third.

74 Golf

and get underneath and take a look - it's pretty obvious how everything goes together, and by wiggling it you should be able to see where the play is. Especially check to see if the mount is rubbing against the guibo - do a search and you will find lots about these common problems.

Bill in MT

1969 and 1970 2002s

1988 735i

When you hear that lathe-like sound, it's almost always the back of the shift platform falling down onto the driveshaft. This could be caused by several things:

1) The two 13mm nuts and bolts on the angle brace that connects the back of the trani to the back of the shift platform being loose. These are right there on the left side of the back of the trani; nothing is in the way.

2) One or both of the bushings that hold the back of the shift tower to the top of the trani. These are shown in the link to realoem in one of the other posts. Each of these has two bolts holding it in:

--An 8mm allen key that faces rearward that you can reach with an allen socket and an extension

--A 13mm bolt that comes down from the top held on with a nut that threads on from the bottom. These are reachable, too, with the trani in the car, though putting a wrench on the top of the bolt is a bit tricky.

Worst case is the bushings themselves being bad (worn out rubber).

But really, as the other poster said, this is not too hard. Jack up the car securely (always double jack, with jack plus jackstands), crawl under it with a powerful droplight, grab the back of the shift platform, and wiggle it around and see where the play is. You'll find it.

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)