• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sharing a little treat....

leonine99

Saturday morning was one of those clear beautiful days that show up from time to time in SoCal, so I decided to skip my Saturday morning errands and take the Red Menace out through the Malibu mountains via Topanga Canyon, over to Stunt Rd and across Mulholland over to Decker Canyon/CA 23 and back to PCH. It was early enough that there wasn't much traffic and the sport bikes were at a minimum, so I tried to get everything out of the 2 litre. At the base of the Snake, which is a winding section just west of the Rock Store, a photog was shooting photos of everyone going by (he's there every weekend) and when I saw mine on his site, I had to buy it. I think we might do a SoCal Vintage drive through here and have him shoot everyone.....enjoy~~~~

Jeff

PS - yes, I know I'm leaning the wrong way through a high speed hairpin turn, but I'm trying to do my best Hans Stuck imitiation......

post-657-13667598824111_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned for more of SoCal Vintage BMW
http://www.SoCalVintageBMW.com
BMW CCA Member #423513

I think about 20 years ago, I hit a dirt patch there and slid into the side of the mountain. Was going the other direction and smashed up my airdam. My GF was in the car at the time. She is my wife now, so she is great for putting up with all my car craziness.

That is one fun place to drive an 02!

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

Shelby,

Yes it is Mulholland, out in Malibu, just west of the Rock Store near Kanan Dume Rd. which is a well know biker hang. Along this end of Mulholland, the 101 travels parallel to Mullholland, about 7-8 miles to the north over the mountains. the west terminus of Mulholland spills out onto Pacific Coast Highway at Leo Carillo Beach, about 30 miles from Santa Monica. However, Mullholland does meet the 101 at its eastern terminus in the Cahuenga Pass in Hollywood, but that is a very different road, about 40 miles east (maybe more) of where the photo is. Mullholland is nice in the Hollywood Hills, great views, has Dead Man's Curve and all that but very residential and a tough stretch to get any speed up....

Jeff

BMW CCA Member #423513

Great photo, Jeff

You know, with a proper helmet and gloves you can drive the Menace on the track at Buttonwillow Raceway at VARAs racing school in February - no curbs, cops or opposing traffic. (No errands either.) And serious fun . . . by Sunday you'll be passing down the front straight and finding your line into turn 1.

I guess I'll have to find a helmet and gloves, because SoCal Vintage BMW is suppossed to organize a drive to the VARA event at Buttonwillow in Feb. I'll feel a little more plebian running around a race track with my stock M10, even with the 38/38....I feel more an outlaw when I zoom through curves over the speed limit!! Ironically, on the SoCal Vintage drives, I'm always the one bringing up the rear, showing up 5 minutes later, because of the stock configuration and I like to take in the views. The photo website is rockstorephotos.com

Jeff

BMW CCA Member #423513