• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery wont hold charge?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just replaced the battery on my 76 2002 because the old one was shot. It was having a hard time starting( not enough power) i put the new one in and it started great. BUT after about a week, it started losing power again. I took the alternator out and it checked good so now i think it might be a ground or a relay. When i take the battery out and give it a full charge, everything is fine. when it starts to lose power and i take it out, it is down to 30-40% charge on the battery so im guessing it is not charging when i drive. Any ideas?

voltage regulator

these older cars have external voltage regulators (later designs moved the regulator internal to the alternator.)

It makes it an easy/cheap fix -opposed to changing the whole alternator itself.

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

voltage readings Please ? -

engine off _______ V ?

during cranking ______ V ?

at 3,000 RPM _________ V ?

at idle with headlight's on ______ V ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Where is the external volt. reg. located

usually located on the fender-well next to the battery (stock location).

this link is just to show you what yours might look like (they may vary slightly) and I"m in no way suggesting you buy this from the link...was just looking for a clear pick and this is what I found in the first few minutes.

Your local autoparts store will have them cheap enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-1600-2002-2800-3-0-Alternator-Voltage-Regulator_W0QQitemZ260296408301QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

perform a load test on it. I've seen (and owned) new batteries that had an internal defect that caused 'em to lose their charge and/or not accept one.

Also, check both battery ground straps (one to engine, one to body) to make sure they're clean, good & tight at both ends and not corroded or loose. Then check the brown ground wire that runs from the alternator case to the engine block. It can corrode under the terminals so that it still looks good but isn't. Without that ground wire, the alternator's ground path is very dodgy and will disrupt the charging circuit.

happy troubleshooting.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite