• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rally Car Transmission

JasonBird

Need to get rid of the 4 speed and replace it for a 5 speed. As the original 5 speeds seem as rare as rocking horse poo can somebody help me out with other ideas. I have heard the 320i box from the early 80's was a good choice. Is the anything that race and rally 02's tend to go for. Is there anything out there thats not going to cost me a arm and a leg! Jason

Guest Anonymous

The e21 5 speed will give you OD, other wise 1-4 ratios wont change materially.

If you need OD for transit from stage to stage then e21 5 spd is fine.

If you are looking for a 5 spd close ratio you need to look at factory 2002 and e21 dog legs or start looking at aftermartket units like Saenz and Quaife.

A

Yes, the lowest- budget way to tighten the ratios

is to put in the 320 5- speed and a 4.44 diff.

The gears are in the early- 90's E36 318 auto convertibles,

and the last one I got on Ebay was less than $200 shipped.

It doesn't fix the 2-3 gap, but it does move it down a lot, so

it happens in a lower- load situation...

Other transmissions can be adapted, but as I'm finding, take a lot of work.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I work for the Quaife Motorsports importer (Taylor Race Engineering) and we can supply you with several options. A Jerico box will also fit using our adaptors. Are you looking for a dogbox or a syncro box?

e46-330ci, e46-325ci Vert., e36-328is, e30-325is, M20-2002, K110, K75, '71 Jeepster Commando

The question is, what ratio's are you looking for? The dog leg 1st isn't the only thing what racers look for. For example if the first is a 3.xx:1 (which it usually is), it's not as wanted as let's say a 2.xx:1 first and 1:1 fifth.

I've also been told that for rally cars people used to use the Getrag 260 4speed from an early M30 engined car (e3, e9, e12) because it is a much stronger box that can take a good beating and the ratio's are sufficient. I bet you can pick one of those up for 50 bucks.

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for to achieve.

Dreamed I was an Eskimo.

Sierra (Ford type 9) with a Quaffe kit.

I've got the box in - just need to sell my first born for the Quaffe kit

beeuark !! why did you chose that box ?

its the same box as in a XR4TI and is a true piece of sh*t !

you were a hair close to put a borg warner T5 man...that would be the ultimate trany.

I am wondering if it fits on the bell housing of the T9 "hummer" type trany.

this trany dates back from the early 60's and was a 4speed initialy, the 5th one was added later.

you cant shift fast with this one like the original 02 box for sure.

btw i have one in one of my shed...

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

that box seems like a good option, i know of one for a start. This quaife kit? What does it include? Is there any other complications? Jason

the original 2002 transmission is much better in my opinion, why did you changed it initialy ?

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

There are lots of options. First, you need to decide if you want a dog box or a Synchro box. A dog box will ALWAYS shift faster than a Synchro box. The downside of a dog box is that it will go in any gear at any speed. So, if you are going 100 mph, it will go into first if that's where you shift it. So, you don't want to do that. The upside is, you don't need the clutch to shift and it's much quicker. You also need to decide if you want an H-pattern or a sequential box.

I stock all the Rocket, Sierra and 60G boxes in both H-pattern & sequential and have several ratios available. We also manufacture our own box that weighs less than 45lbs and has unlimited gear ratios available, but it's not cheap. A Jerico is another option and it is made in the U.S.

We would need to run a gear chart for you to see exactly what you need based on H.P., tire size, differential ratio, max rpm and race speed envelope. I stock a few Synchro boxes for street cars, but there's no demand for them as a racing box. Once you decide on the box, we engineer a bellhousing adapter to fit your engine based upon your clutch type, number of driven discs, clutch release system and other parameters. We typically recommend a formula car type annular clutch release system which is contained within the bell housing. Then we determine the proper driveshaft diameter and length based on critical speed calculations to fit within your performance parameters.

If you need any more info. you can contact me directly at doug@taylor-race.com

e46-330ci, e46-325ci Vert., e36-328is, e30-325is, M20-2002, K110, K75, '71 Jeepster Commando

that box seems like a good option, i know of one for a start. This quaife kit? What does it include? Is there any other complications? Jason

the original 2002 transmission is much better in my opinion, why did you changed it initialy ?

Why?

Why?

why what, i am asking why you spend all that effort to put that transmission.

And if you ask me why i say that the 2002 transmission is better, well, ive driven 3 different XR4TI, and one especialy with very low mileage so it was supposed to feel right. I had driven 2x 2002, 2x 320i, one e30 and one e36 on regular basis since 1995.

The XR's never ever shifted as smooth and rapidly as the getrag's or zf's. Even compared to a 2002 with all loose bushings and rubber, the XR always felt like if it were broken.

They wear also very fast if you abuse them at all. Ford suggest some nasty fluid that they sell to put in, which is some sort of synthetic ATF fluid.

Then if the issue is gear ratios then its probably a good transmission just for that, but id spend instead more time and effort to put a WC T5 instead, which i did a swap years ago into one of my XR because of you know what now.

No comparision possible.

did you ever drive a car with the T9 ?? i mean a stock T9, of course if all the synchros are changed and with straight gears,...then its different, but initialy it is a very weak and slow transmission.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

I havnt changed it, its just that its a 4 speed and would quite like to be able to use 1st gear more effectively such as dropping 2nd to 1st into tight corners and handbrake situations. I dont want to spend 'loads' of money on it but was hoping to get every ones opinion. Are the ford gear boxes easily compatible as I imagine parts will be easier to find for them. Jason

[its the same box as in a XR4TI and is a true piece of sh*t !

I CAN VOUCH FOR IT X 2. Biggest turd ever!!!

But that was Ford North america that screwed that one up.

They put in a Brazilian Ford Pinto motor in the XR4Ti and Turbo'd it for specially us in North America. If they left a normally aspired motor in it, like the 4 or 6 cylinder like the way it was sold in Europe it would have held up fine.