• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked filler neck - rubber repair

Beaner7102

My late style rubber filler pipe (between gas cap and tank) is starting to crack and causes fumes to fill the car when there is less than half a tank of gas.

Is there a quick fix, some fuel friendly sealant I can smear on the rubber to get a few more months out of it?

A new one is $90, I swear they were $35 a month or so back.

TIA Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

Shaun,

99% sure i have one you can have but cant remember if its long or short. I theoretically should have 2... so you can take your pick.

Shoot me a msg on my mobile or an email to my new address if you'd like it.

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I used black rubber silicone (squeeze tube) applied to cracks from outside and then sprayed with black plastidip. Alternatively, you can dip the neck into the plastidip (or whatever is called) solution, let dry and you are done. It won't be a beauty queen but works. You can also spray with Herculiner or similar undercoating. I have one refurbished available for $15.00 if you like. Or, post at WTB section, somebody might have a new one at a good price.

I purchased one of those rubber filler necks from Maximillion Importing Co. for usd$97.50 I installed it on my 76 2002, it's a project vehicle that just sites around most of the time. I have drivin it about 60 miles in 1 year and it is already showing signs of cracking my guess is that the gas in California has some type of chemical in it that carrodes BMW rubber. I will not purchase another one. not at the Current prices. I will modify the gas tank. because im going to send it out to be cleaned in acid bath. Any pictures or recomendation would be good.