• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calling Tom Jones (nt)

FunElan

Guest Anonymous
Tom will be doing a bit of body work on the Lemons car today.

He is most unusual.

Does Tom endorse seafoam too? How good is he at stuffing a turkey?

What's new Pussycat, whoah, whoah, whoah...... =b....

32-36 degrees max advance using an advance timing light on the TDC mark not the ball, vacuum advance disconnected, above 3K rpm. If it pings at 36 then back off to 34 and so fourth.

I use the #3568 Digital Advance light made by these folks http://www.iequus.com/products.php?category_id=1_20

I've seen that Kragen sells them for slightly less than a hun.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=EQU&MfrPartNumber=3568&CategoryCode=3390

Let us know how it goes. And if you ever achieve better fuel mileage.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Like tbrduc showed in C.D.'s earlier post BUT you want find the "OT line" on the flywheel instead of the "Z Ball".

To it get close enough to find, take the distributor cap off and rotate the motor till you're a little before the little hash mark in the top surface of the distributor, look in the hole by the starter and continue to rotate until the OT line appears... If you have some brightly colored paint (yellow is best) now would be a good time to mark that OT so it shows up better with the timing light...

Next loosen the distributor till you can just move it, you don't want it too loose or it will move on you while you're revving the motor. Once the motor is running and you're getting ready ti time it at 3K + you'll want to first have a look see and adjust it to the OT line at Idle Zero degrees... this will get you in the ballpark and prep you better for when setting it at 3K +....

Have fun and enjoy!

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20