• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

red warning light faint glow at >3200RPMS

golf73

i put a new alternator and belt in about 8 months ago, battery is a 6-year battery of unknown age. put in a new starter (smaller body replacement) last weekend. just noticed the faint light glowing on the highway the other day, but could have been there before as i might not have noticed. i was thinking of checking battery voltage at rest and then do a load test, checking it at RPM when light starts glowing - anything else? is this an obvious problem someone has experienced, or is there something i should check first?

do you have a multimeter? you can check the battery, and charging system - i forget what the reading should be off the top of my head, but if you searched the forum (or had a decent manual) you'd find some info (or you may know it already). i had same thing; faint glow, turned out to be my regulator. chuck

1969 Colorado Automatic (converted to 4spd)

1982 528e
1972 BMW R75/5

chuckrouthier.com

i put a new alternator and belt in about 8 months ago, battery is a 6-year battery of unknown age. put in a new starter (smaller body replacement) last weekend. just noticed the faint light glowing on the highway the other day, but could have been there before as i might not have noticed. i was thinking of checking battery voltage at rest and then do a load test, checking it at RPM when light starts glowing - anything else? is this an obvious problem someone has experienced, or is there something i should check first?

Likely, as the dude (CD) sez, you have a bad diode in the output stage of your alternator. Basically, the glowing light means that the power consumption in your charging system exceeds the power output, which could be the result of other problems like excessive resistance in the system (check connections at both ends- ground and power). Also, see http://www.bmw2002faq.com/images/stories/faqs/charging_system/02_charging.pdf

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga