• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

simple green on paint?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi I just bought a sahara car and currently the rocker trim is off. The rockers themselves are quite dirty and I wanted to clean them prior to reinstalling the trim strips. Would simple green be gentle enough to get all the gunk off ?

Thanks

Although I don't normally use Simple Green on painted surfaces, I've had a little "over-spray" get on the car when cleaning the engine compartment and it does not seem to effect cured paint, other than removing the wax. The inside of the fenders, in the engine compartment, get cleaned w/ it in my cars with no apparent ill effects. I'd dilute it 50/50 to begin with and see if that does the job.

Bob Napier

Hi,

Simple green works great but watch out b/c it will take off the black paint on the metal VIN tag on the fender in the engine compartment. You will be left with just a clean plate with the VIN stamped on it.

I found out the hard way on that one. Should have known better.

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

i would recommend using a mild cleaner instead of something acidic with the aid of a nylon brush to remove any gunk. Since it is behind the trim any scratches you put in with a brush will be hidden and the area will be clean without risking etching the paint.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on