• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My little 02' Updated 2/8/09

mossyboy6

So anyway, I will tell you guys about my little 76' 2002. I bought it at the beginning of this year, expecting it to be a project car, got a very good deal on it as well, so that’s always a bonus.

Skip forward a few months of driving… I start to realize the smoke that is coming out of the pipe (very little slightly grey) so I think valves. This leads me to pulling the head off the car (no biggie) which leads me to find that the head was cracked, and also there is damage in one of the cylinders. I was thinking that a ring broke off and got ingested so that led me to pulling the engine.

One little thing leading to big things.

Not complaining at all, this process has been awesome, and I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

I figure, while I have the engine pulled, ill rebuild the master, slave cylinders brake booster etc… Then once that is done, pull front sub-frame, rebuild bushings, bearings etc.

Then ill prep for paint and shoot it.

Im 17 years old and paying for 100% of this project so things may come slowly, but it will get done.

Future plans for the engine are efi w/ megasquirt, and a turbo so ill keep you guys updated.

Now for the pics:

Everything is pretty self explanatory so here they are

mkbtwx.jpg

2jfd4ix.jpg

2aais8j.jpg

2igli1g.jpg

2dpgt0.jpg

2i8jexd.jpg

6r1nw8.jpg

Organized chaos

Damn man where did you get a garage like that at 17? I'm almost 30 and I still have to drive to my Mom's house to work in her driveway!

Haha! Totally! I worked on my 2002 at my parents house for years. I finally got a tiny ass garage at our new apartment building. If I park my 2002 in the center of the garage I only have 2 feet of space on either side! You have the garage of my dreams! Good luck with your project!

David

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going to jump in here, I started mine when I was 16! I think having a 2002 as a first car really puts you on your path for the rest of your life car wise. I really like seeing all this engine business going down, makes me want to build another engine myself.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

I'm going to jump in here, I started mine when I was 16! I think having a 2002 as a first car really puts you on your path for the rest of your life car wise. I really like seeing all this engine business going down, makes me want to build another engine myself.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

just read you post going to be an intresting post to watch . the pistons that you have just got are these going to be the ones that you will be useing with the turbo ?

one day i will have a garage like yours but at the mo i have my car at my parents in the garage my engine at my friends house and the suspension at my house . not good

What turbo are you thinking of using ?

I will not be using the pianos with the turbo.

I plan on collecting and making every little needed part of the turbo conversion, instead of hooking it up and fixing mistakes as I go along.

The pianos will be going in for the time being for just that little extra kick while I have my 32/36 on there, then when Im ready to install turbo, ill be putting the flat tops back in there or perhaps some forged pistons.

I had a look at my financial plan, and I am quickly running out of funds, and seeing as how my parents wont lend me any money, I am going to have to buy things slowly, collecting them, and then in maybe a year or so I will be able to hook up the turb.

• 1 month later...

The car as it sits now:

xn964z.jpg

Interior stripped except for panels, right door pulled for resto.

My heater box had leaked all under my carpets, and was rusting my floorboards and trying to get thru my firewall.

I must have spent three hours scraping all of the sound mat off.

Dash resto started, here it is before.

2e154t0.jpg

am5l4h.jpg

Dash filler, goes on and sands very nice.

padded dash filler- http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=URE&Product_Code=2050-9&Category_Code=

The after pics will be up once i get the vinyl spray in the mail.