• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter platform

wagnerf15

As I start to research the parts and labor required to set up this 5 speed 320i transmission, I find myself riddled with questions. A little help please...

1. Is the stock 320i 5 speed shifter platform a direct fit? Obviously, it'll fit the tranny, but is this the piece I need to line up the shifter in the tunnel, etc?

2. Is the stock piece satisfactory? It's about $70 cheaper than the closest replacement piece and I've already got a LOT of money into this drivetrain..every little bit helps. I know the custom sets are nice, but are they necessary?

3. It looks like the stock platform doesn't have the support bracket like the 2002 platform (the piece that triangulates the whole platform). Is this right?

4. I'll do more research on the shifter, but any favorites?

5. Why do I ask so many f***ing questions? Am I a tard?

Engine is complete, I'm a tranny mate away from 2002 action!!!!!

post-9412-13667597726219_thumb.jpg

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

Did you read the FAQ on this?

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/20/32/

Also have you checked around for kits... Try aardvarc racing, everything you need with no guesswork. You can buy individual parts as well.... like a modified shifter platform.

2002haus is another option if he produces that kit again. I have it in my tii and I love it...

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

As I start to research the parts and labor required to set up this 5 speed 320i transmission, I find myself riddled with questions. A little help please...

1. Is the stock 320i 5 speed shifter platform a direct fit? Obviously, it'll fit the tranny, but is this the piece I need to line up the shifter in the tunnel, etc?

2. Is the stock piece satisfactory? It's about $70 cheaper than the closest replacement piece and I've already got a LOT of money into this drivetrain..every little bit helps. I know the custom sets are nice, but are they necessary?

3. It looks like the stock platform doesn't have the support bracket like the 2002 platform (the piece that triangulates the whole platform). Is this right?

4. I'll do more research on the shifter, but any favorites?

5. Why do I ask so many f***ing questions? Am I a tard?

Engine is complete, I'm a tranny mate away from 2002 action!!!!!

1. No, it's too long. Find one of the articles on 5speed retrofit and the dimensions will be explained. I have the articles saved and cen email if needed.

2. Stock piece design works if shortened and the holes for the fittings to bolt into that also attach it to the transmission. The link also needs to be shortened by cutting out the same amount and re-welded.

3. The platform for the 5 speed has a rubber mount at it's rear the rides in a u-shaped 2piece bracket. This bracked can be mounted to the tunnel with a bolt. The car it came from had a stud. It happens to line up exactly with the metal crosspiece strap that holds the two sides of the console together (inside the cabin).

I think the shifter moves around less if the platform is attached to the tunnel than onto the transmission as the 4 spd has. PM me if you want the article.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

When I try to PM, a pop-up tells me that's been disabled on this board....however, I'd like to get any articles/info you have. I can't seem to find a lot of data about the shifter platform; just a lot about fitting the transmission to the tunnel. If you wouldn't mind, send them to wagnerf15@sbcglobal.net. Sounds like getting one of the aftermarket mods is the easiest/best way.

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

OK, I just bought Jeff Ireland's shifter platform and set-up. His is based on the 320 platform (no diagonal brace, instead an attachment to the tunnel back by the shifter) and sounds like it's pretty dope. Pics and more to follow when I get the stuff. So, I guess nevermind the other items above :)

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins