• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2000 Touring Turbo Aiming at 350bhp

bmw02touring

When using dellortos you dont have to change anything inside the carbs, The floats can handle the boost, and the shafts are sealed from the factory.

With the Webers you have to change floats, if you dont have the DCO series with plastic floats, otherwise I dont know what you have to do to make webers perform well under boost.

The Dellortos are exelent for turboapplications since you dont have to modify them that much.

The important part is to get them well jetted so that they will give you a smoth ride.

//Niclas

BMW 2000 touring 335,9Bhp 412Nm

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience the heads usually crack between the valve seats or from valve to spark plug. Is it different with turbo because I don't see how welding would help that?

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Well I know that all the books say that cracking usually occurs between the valveseats, But the heads that I have seen cracked, both NA and Turbo heads, the cracks has been from the exhaustvalve and out to the waterchannel. That is why I´ve welded the channels there. I also dont think that the BMW technichians changed the casting on the M30 heads just because it was fun.

Better to be safe than sorry. I dont want to change heads anymore.

//Niclas

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments so far, I havn´t had any problems with the gearbox or diff, that I can blame the enginepower for. I´m rebuilding the gearbox this winter but that is because the syncros has been bad in second gear ever since I assembeled the car.

//Niclas

Tommy, I have seen here in a race shop in CA on a m10 race engine w/ 13.5:1 compression and very high power they welded the jackets in the middle.

The owner said it was done more to increase clamping force and thus reduce head gasket failures. He never even mentioned about it reducing head cracking. Like you said most heads crack inbetween valves or sparkplug.

So according to him he used to have blown headgasket every weekend and after welding it almost dissapeared.

I was thinking about doing this to my head.

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif

I can only speak from my own experience and the heads that has Cracked in the engines I´ve seen (4heads) has cracked from the exhaust valve and out to the waterchannel, I have also blown a couple of gaskets as you describe the ring has been pushed out so that compression goes in to the waterchannel.

The reason why I welded my head was to try it, and see if it would hold compression better, and it has.

I also know that many times it works fine without welding, I know of some m10 turbo engines in Sweden with stock headgasket and boost above 1,5 bar, they seem to work fine.

But it´s better to be safe than sorry, in my opinion anyway.

Its not like I´m forcing anyone to weld their head, or saying that it won´t work without welding. This is just how I Solved my headcracking problem.

//Niclas

Hi Niclas,

What is the effect of using a 304 cam on a turbo engine? Corky Bell states that "high-overlap cams create a huge amount of reversion", p163 "Maximum boost".

The max Bhp of your engine come at 6000 revs which is relatively low speed, so the cam didn't shift the powerband to high revs such as with atmospheric engines.

Do you have dyno's with the stock 264 cam?

I would like to know what's the net impact of the cam in the 335 Bhp.

Anyway, congrats with this hot project!

Greetings,

Michel - Belgium

2002 '74

318d '10

>>> BMW forever...!

Thanks Michel,

There are lots of m10 turbo engines in Sweden running with 304 (or Sharper) Cams, So Thats the reason why I choose this Cam. I previously used a 292 in my Na engine.

The Reason why the power dropped after 6000rpm is probably related to my to small Exhaust, I use a 2,5" exhaust all the way.

This and my Low flowing Intercooler (saab 9-5) is probably to blame for this.

This winter I´m installing a new exhaust (again) 3" and a new Alu intercooler.

Then the power should be there througout the rpm range

//Niclas

Nicolas,

Great thread. You have now placed me back in no mans land again, trying to decide between doing a M20 conversion or going with your old skool turbo engine. I had just about done a deal on a M20 as well. I`m currently near completion on my M2 build, and have another 2 x 2002`s to follow, so have been pondering this M20 route for a while, and with your one post have got me thinking again.

What exhaust manifold are you using ? and I am keen to see loads more pic`s of your car.

Excellent work and keep us all updated.

Regards.

Dave

E30 M3 Track Car

E30 C2 2.7 Alpina

2002 - S14 Alipina rep ( Build in Progress )

2002 - M10 Awaiting rebuild

2002 - M10 Turbo Awaiting Rebuild

3 x 2002 Stripped for spares

E36 M3 Evo

Frontera for towing

Nicolas,

Great thread. You have now placed me back in no mans land again, trying to decide between doing a M20 conversion or going with your old skool turbo engine. I had just about done a deal on a M20 as well. I`m currently near completion on my M2 build, and have another 2 x 2002`s to follow, so have been pondering this M20 route for a while, and with your one post have got me thinking again.

What exhaust manifold are you using ? and I am keen to see loads more pic`s of your car.

Excellent work and keep us all updated.

Regards.

Dave

E30 M3 Track Car

E30 C2 2.7 Alpina

2002 - S14 Alipina rep ( Build in Progress )

2002 - M10 Awaiting rebuild

2002 - M10 Turbo Awaiting Rebuild

3 x 2002 Stripped for spares

E36 M3 Evo

Frontera for towing

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome build man! Its really cool to see that people are making those power numbers on carbs! A lot of people think 300+ bhp is ONLY possible with EFI.

Its also good to know that your making that hp and have had no problems with drivetrain. Do you ever run sticky tires or launch it hard or is this thing a highway roll it on kinda car?

Cheers!

Cars:

1991 325i Turbo m50

Awesome build man! Its really cool to see that people are making those power numbers on carbs! A lot of people think 300+ bhp is ONLY possible with EFI.

Its also good to know that your making that hp and have had no problems with drivetrain. Do you ever run sticky tires or launch it hard or is this thing a highway roll it on kinda car?

Cheers!

I´m glad you like it, The car is mostly a highwaycar, I´ve never tried sticky tires yet, but next season It will be running on Dot drag tires if I´m racing it.

might as well post an update, I´m currently mounting a Rollbar and my new intercooler.

frontintercooler.jpg

Intercooler004.jpg

Intercooler001.jpg

bmwalpina017.jpg

I´m gonna keep the rear seat, Just need to stretch the leather a little then the support is in the clear.

burbaksate.jpg