• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early '02/1600 Spotted at lunch

germaneighter

In some very tall weeds I spotted, what looked to be, an early '02 or 1600. I stopped for a closer look closer but it was behind a wire fence and over grown with heavy brush. The hood was partially raised. It has a dual master cylinder reservoir sitting directly on the MC. The side marker lights are flush and look to be yellow - not orange. Looks like it has been there a very long time.

Any idea what it might be with this limited info?

I'll try to get more info/pics later this week.

dave in Tulsa

'71 2002 (project)

'72 2002tii (project)

We'll tell what year it is by the VIN#. I'd love to see those pics when you get them. I have a thing for early 1600's. :)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

probably already know at some, if not most, of this.......)

> If the side grills are silver it's probably a 1600, if they have black slats, it probably a 2002

> If it has a two segment brake fluid reservior mounted directly on the m/c, it's most likely either a "series I" 2002 with 2 piston calipers or a fairly early 1600 (if it's a US spec series I 2002, it should have a vin lower than 1664760, and was probably built before January of 1969).

> If it doesn't have headrests or side marker lights, it's probably a 67 or 68 model year car

> If it has a pattern embossed in the beltline trim on the front of the hood, it's most likely an early 1600

> If the model badge (1600/2002) is missing from the rear panel, but the roundel (or the holes where the roundel and model badge mount) in the passenger side of the rear panel are above the horizontal bar between the taillights, it's probably a 1600, if they're below the bar (close to the rear bumper) it's probably a 2002.

> If the rear license lights are mounted in the bumper, it's probably a euro-spec car, if they're mounted on the rear panel on both sides of the license plate, it's almost certainly a US spec car.

Hope this helps a bit............

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)