• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Box flap grommet

GolfYellowTii

I need to rebuild a heater box and the rubber grommets need to be replaced for the flaps pivots. On the heater box FAQ it says you need:

Grommets, 6 ea. rubber, 7/16" outside diameter, 5/16" groove diameter, 3/16" bore, 1/32" groove width; note that grommets are available in different materials.

I have found ones that fit dimension but the groove width. Does anyone know where to obtain some with the dimension listed? McMaster Carr has one that are 7/16" OD, 5/16" groove diameter, 3/16" bore, 1/16" groove width. Thanks for any help.

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif

i found grommets that worked at the local hardware store.

i eyeballed them and they work fine.

remember, the grommets are rubber and will stretch to fit if necessary. i used silicone spray to help them along, too.

no issues after several months of use.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

The size that I cited is commonly available at any large hardware store. You could probably get away with using the McMaster Carr grommet with 1/16" groove width, but it might be a bit of a loose fit in the hole. BTW, I suggest you use a bit of synthetic grease on the flap shaft. These rubber grommets are a softer material than BMW used and my guess is they will not wear as well without a bit of lube.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Mike, I may take you up on the closed cell foam. I needed to order some anyways. Is your e-mail the one @ rennlist.net still?

I'll check from those grommets at Lowes and Home Depot this weekend. My local one didn't seem to have a huge selection of grommets last time I went to look.

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif