• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal dash light always glows

carlfriedman

Turn signals work great, bright and with nice blink rate. But the turn signal repeater in the dash is on as soon as I turn the ignition on and just flickers ever so slightly when the signals are on. Anyone car to guide me into what it might be?

If my brother truely sends new tags down from Maine this weekend then there will be another 2002 on the road in Northern Virginia next week.

carl

Mine just started doing the same thing. I'm assuming there is a loose ground somewhere coming out of the instrument cluster. Might also explain why my temp gauge flicks up and down when the blinkers are on.

'71 Sahara (sold 2019)

'74 '02 (sold 1/09)

1. Turn ignition off, then locate the turn signal flasher relay--smaller of the two black plastic boxes under the dash, just above the hood release handle.

2. Carefully remove the relay's cover--it unsnaps around the edges. You'll notice two sets of relay points inside. Now turn the ignition on, and select either a right or left turn with the T/S lever...notice that the smaller set of points don't open? If that's the case, carefully separate the points until they move in opposition to the larger point set that causes the exterior lights to blink. When properly operating, the outside light points are closed when the dash light points are open, and vice versa. Keep tweaking the point set until the dash light blinks properly.

3. Replace relay cover and reinstall. This is also the way to fix a dash light that doesn't blink at all.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite