• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do I Remove Front Seat Covers?

fwardell

I'm changing out the padding in my '76 front seats - going with horsehair. What's the procedure for removing and re-installing the seat covers? Do I need to remove the seats? Found nothing when searching.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

Hi, Where did you find the replacement pads. I have been looking for a while now and it seems they want $500.00 per pad.

Remove the seats, while on the bench turn them over and get ya some hog ring pliers. They are held in place with hog rings. You will find that it is not that complicated of a project and very doable.

Take your time and fit right.

Joel.

yes you should remove the seats, by un-bolting the front and rear bolts on seat rails. Move the seat all the way forward to access the rears, and all the way back to access the front bolts, 2 ft 2 rear. Couple of cautions - don't force the seat forward with the seat down or you risk smashing it into the windshield. Also be careful once the front is undone so NOT bend the seat rails by having the whole seat tilt back, this can ruin the seat rails. Maybe unbolt the rear first, carefully push seat back and unbolt the front, pull seats out. - Other post is correct, simple procedure on remove seat cover/vinyl.

yes you should remove the seats, by un-bolting the front and rear bolts on seat rails. Move the seat all the way forward to access the rears, and all the way back to access the front bolts, 2 ft 2 rear. Couple of cautions - don't force the seat forward with the seat down or you risk smashing it into the windshield. Also be careful once the front is undone to NOT bend the seat rails by having the whole seat tilt back, this can ruin the seat rails. Maybe unbolt the rear first, carefully push seat back and unbolt the front, pull seats out. - Other post is correct, simple procedure on remove seat cover/vinyl.

I have done this, and it is not difficult, but nearly impossible to walk you through the steps. Basically if you wonder if has to come apart, it does. Take your time and it will reveal inself to you, there is no magic here.

I am in Winston-Salem, if you want to make the trek up, I would be happy to lend a hand.

If you get into it and have specific issues, shoot me an e-mail.

Jlenham@gmail.com

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

Thanks, all. Sounds straightforward, will get into it soon. To answer a question, I bought the horsehair pads using the Parts for Sale forum here on bmw2002faq - just happened to come upon them.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

• 15 years later...

Alright, picking up on that topic ... and even though some say it's straight forward, I don't wanna mess with the mechanic before I know what to do.

I'm partially upholstering (and partially recovering) the seats and therefore need to remove the seat cover obviously – rear bench was easy, at the front seats, the mechanic (backrest) is in the way of simply getting the cover of, so:

How do I remove the seat cover and/or the mechanic (see picture below)?

Most of it seems bolted and I hope, that it's possible to get it off as one part, but I wasn't able to see how.

image.thumb.jpeg.ff04d90487bf8c48643adf81c1a39c7c.jpeg