• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo Megasquirt EDIS 2.1L Forged M10 build-up. IT'S ALIVE!

• 1 month later...

I hit boost by 2500 and it holds strong through 6000 but I need a little fine tuning at the high end to get it to really pull. Not only that but I am still only running like 8psi. I am about to order a Joe P. MBC and turn it up to 15psi. I think I will need larger charge pipes and a t4 compressor housing to get those CFM :)

Anywho, I just finished transplanting an m30 throttle body with TPS. Throttle respose and low end power are way better than before. This TB has 40% more area than my old one (m20 ETA 53mm). I took the adapter that was being used with the m20 unit and adapted it to work with the m30 TB. It's funny, if you clock the throttle, the two diagonal mounting holes line up perfectly with the old 318i mounting holes so I only had to redrill/tap two holes for studs. You can see this in the pictures. I also rotated the entire TB almost 180 degrees so the throttle linkage now comes through the middle of the manifold. This was beneficial because I was able to shorten my throttle cable about 8" and have a much more straight shot (less binding). I also had to make a throttle cable bracket to mount the cable where the cold start injector was on the 318i. Pedal feel is much lighter and smoother. This also allows more clearance between the brake booster and the TB which were occasionally interfering before. As a "while I'm in there" type thing, I wrinkle painted the manifold and water neck.

Old adapter:

IMG_0400.jpg

What I had to remove:

IMG_0405.jpg

Before the blue went on:

IMG_0422.jpg

Material removed to clear m30 TB:

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

-Cody

'73 Deuce, the "Snailmobile"

• 2 weeks later...

Something about brightly-colored krinkle intake manifolds just seems hokey to me...

I really like that throttle cable bracket - good use of those holes for where the warm-up injector used to be.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Amazing build, ThisIsTheRanger!

I just bought a 2002ti and I´m turning it into a 2002 Turbo for a the Mexican Vintage serial.

Would you happen to have more technical information?

Almost no one knows this here in Mexico, let alone the Turbo version, so any help will be very appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...
Something about brightly-colored krinkle intake manifolds just seems hokey to me...

I really like that throttle cable bracket - good use of those holes for where the warm-up injector used to be.

Your sig was actually my inspiration for the intake paint job. I wanted to go with a bright color but didn't want to copy yours so I went with blue, plus it matches some of the blue I have under the hood. I've gotten the comment that the manifold looks like it's made of plastic.!?

UPDATE: Installed Hallman Pro RX manual boost conroller and Ireland Engineering 22mm front/rear sways. In the process of VW rear disk conversion as we type.

-Cody

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I jsut got a boost bros manifold, and it is not seating properly at all

What did you do to have it not hit the tensioner.

I just used the included gasket to mount it and it cleared by about 1/8" and getting smaller when hot.

The disk brake conversion is done. Used some Passat/Jetta rear calipers and Golf front rotors. It only cost me like $150 including new Pagid pads.

Had get the hub machined to fit into the rotor:

img0501f.jpg

Made up some brackets by hand. That was a bitch.

img0506ct.jpg

Made a new hard line a few inches longer than the stock one so I could join up to the stock Passat soft line. This method cost me $6 vs. $40 custom braided lines.

img0517y.jpg

Final placement. Parking brake works! (can see beautiful IE sway bar hello there ;) Stupid drum brakes crying in the background.

img0521cn.jpg

Also took the check valve out of the master cylinder which is necessary for disk brakes. Braking is amazing now. These work really well with the Girlings in the front, just need some Hawk pads up there. It is actually biased slightly towards the rear with this setup, whichcould be caused by the pad difference front to rear. I can lock up the rear slightly before the front and rotate the car around a tight turn in the mountain, which I couldn't do before.

Just need LSD! Coming soon.

-Cody

Ranger, This is a Great Build up, thanks for all the MS information. i am going MS in the near future and starting to collect parts, will you tell me what year and model does the M30 throttle body come from? thanks

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

• 4 weeks later...
Ranger, This is a Great Build up, thanks for all the MS information. i am going MS in the near future and starting to collect parts, will you tell me what year and model does the M30 throttle body come from? thanks

The year m30 doesn't matter as long as it's from an automatic so that you get the 6 wire TPS (you only use 3 wires). I believe mine came from an e34.

-Cody

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...