• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question re Fuel Injection conversion

richk98

I'm in the planning and parts gathering stage to convert my 02 to fuel injection and MS-II. I've read most of the FAQ posts and the great websites (Zenon, Finkbuilt, et al). I am likely to install a turbo once FI and MS are working. What I'm struggling with is finding data on the optimal throttle body to use with a 318i manifold. Fink used a 325is and 02again makes an CNC machined adapter plate for this specific application. While tempted to try to source a 325is TB to take advantage of the high quality parts made by Tom at 02again, I don't want to wind up with a TB that may improperly sized for a T3 turbo. If the 325is is in a reasonable range of acceptability, my "follow-up" question is whether a 325i, or other e30 models would provide similar flow and be compatible with the intake adapter.

Any experiences or advice?

Anyone have any parts they may want to sell?

1974 2002 - Project Rehab

2004 330ci

2004 530i

That 325i TB is plenty big enough (56mm?). I think the only way to go bigger is with ITB's. Remember that if you go too big, your car will feel like you went full throttle when you have only asked for half. This can cause drivability problems.

Didn't someone on here get a 318i with stock TB to get big HP with a turbo?

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Something to consider is the 325i auto 89 up got a little bit bigger throttle body... check out the part numbers on the air boot.

Plus my auto TB has a idle screw!

I have a 325i turbo pretty easy to fit a m50 tps onto for megasquirt. Should be a fun project... been thinking about scrapping my e30 and dropping the turbo m20 into my 2002

-cliff

72 bmw 2002

89 325i turbo megasquirt

91 vanagon vw luv

82 honda nighthawlk 650sc

I've got a 325is on mine, I think it's 58mm. I'm going to take a guess and say that if you're going to install a turbo, it really doesn't matter because the boost will force as much air as your engine can take past a smaller throttle body.

There's no downside whatsoever of going with the 58mm TB, other than you need to buy or make an adapter. Tip-in is NOT a problem, and by designing your linkage carefully, you can make it so that the rate of TB opening is non-linear to your gas pedal. In other words, mine opens more slowly off idle, then opens more quickly as you push the pedal down. My design is based on fink-built's.

Here's a couple of pics. (pay no attention to the incomplete wiring!)

post-2253-13667596199159_thumb.jpg

post-2253-13667596201283_thumb.jpg

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA