• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical System Problems

phht76

Hello,

I have a problem with my '76 2002 electrical system. Yesterday night, I am driving home and the car is running great. About 1 mile from my house I notice my headlights are dim and in about 1/2 a mile the car has died and I am coasting. I make it home and the car is DEAD. No interior lights, fuel pump, NOTHING. I put a volt meter on the battery and it reads 0.3 volts. I got a new battery and the car starts/idles fine. However, when I first connect the battery, I hear a solenoid engage on the other side of the car. The Voltage Regulator? is energizing and staying energized when the battery in first connected and the key is off. It never de-energizes... is this normal?

More importantly, what do you think caused the problem in the first place. Please help, I need this car.

Mark

Guest Anonymous

Slow death beginning with dimming lights then lack of everything is sure indication that your battery died. Probably due to lack of charging from the alternator. The clicking sound is the idle cut solenoid on your carb. I suggest that you inspect your voltage regulator, the alternator and the attendant connecting wires. Something is causing your battery not to be charged and it could be a handful of things. A slipping or broken fan belt could make the battery die. Inspect for broken or slipping belt.

Slow death beginning with dimming lights then lack of everything is sure indication that your battery died. Probably due to lack of charging from the alternator. The clicking sound is the idle cut solenoid on your carb. I suggest that you inspect your voltage regulator, the alternator and the attendant connecting wires. Something is causing your battery not to be charged and it could be a handful of things. A slipping or broken fan belt could make the battery die. Inspect for broken or slipping belt.

There is no idle solenoid on a DGV with a manual Choke. This relay is on the passenger wheel well, and it engages immedaitely when the battery is connected and does not de-energize. Alternator is fine and belt is NEW and tight.

recharge the battery, then make 3 wires with spade connections at each end, connect them from where the rubber harness connection plugs in on the altenator to the proper connections on the voltage regulator. See if that takes care of the problem. That was my issue... those spade connections inside the factory harness to the altenator seemed to fail, and would sometimes work and sometimes not work- creating a charging/discharging condition. I ultimately purchased the 320i altenator upgrade that is internally regulated and does away with the volatge regulator.

harness: There should be a wire bail (clip) that holds the wiring plug onto the back side of the alternator. It's there for a reason, as the plug will fall out from engine vibration. Make sure the bail is in place, and holds the plug tightly--and that the terminals are nice and clean. Also check to insure the brown ground wire that runs from the alternator body to the engine block is in place and not corroded at either terminal end. That's the only way the alternator grounds, and without that wire it won't charge properly.

Finally, recharge the battery and do a load test on it. Make sure the problem isn't just a battery that has an internal short, or is just plain worn out.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite