• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Rotors etc.

lobf

Hello. I changed my brake pads a little too late a couple of weeks ago and the rotors were all scratched up. I want to remove the rotors and take them to my mechanic to be machined. A few questions- Can I take off my rotors? How do I do that? Where should I put the jack stands to support my wheel-less car while I'm gone? I'm still learning my way around my first car here, so thanks for your help and support.

P.S- It's a '76

unfortunately, removing the rotors on a 2002 isn't nearly as easy as most cars. you're gonna have to unbolt the caliper, remove the big hub nut, pop the hub out along with outer wheel bearing, use a huge allen wrench to take the rotor off the hub, etc. just going off memory so don't quote me on that. but it'd be best if you bought a Haynes manual to guide you.

then when you get it back (might be nearly as cheap to just get new rotors instead), you'll have to re-pack the outer wheel bearing and adjust it properly.

in most other cars..... often all you need is a big hammer to knock the rotor off...

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

oh, and the best place to place the jackstands is probably underneath each end of the big horizontal subframe member that goes under the engine.

the factory jacking point is a reinforced notch just in front of your door on the rocker panel... but those points aren't that trustworthy anymore.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

.....AND :

Can I take off my rotors? = YES

How do I do that? = AS STATED ABOVE

Where should I put the jack stands to support

my wheel-less car while I'm gone? = AS ABOVE

I'm still learning my way around my first

car here, so = A REPAIR MANUAL IS MANDATORY

READING before YOU ATTEMPT ANY SAFETY RELATED

REPAIRS. you should really replace the wheel bearings

while the hubs are removed - how many times have the

prior hacks just put the hubs back on without replace the bearings ???

and no - you cannot cut 02 rotors which when new are already

thin by todays standards for rotor thickness. If ANY metal-to-metal

contact has been made, in addition to the other normal wear

and reduction in rotor thickness - REPLACE THE ROTORS NOW.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

They get replaced.

Feel the edge of the rotor. Is there a lip? Replace.

Feel the surface of the rotor. Ridges and grooves? Replace.

Is the rotor warped? (Brake pedal pulsates under braking.) Replace.

Otherwise, reuse the rotors. You may want to scuff it with some fine sandpaper when replacing pads and not replacing rotors but do not machine rotors or resurface them.

And when replacing them, replace them in pairs. They should both wear evenly, and if they don't, you want to look for reasons why. (Calipers, brakes lines.)

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Well thank you very much for your responses. I have a Haynes manual, so I would have at least some idea of what I'm doing.

So I should buy new rotors, eh? Where can I get them and how much should I be paying? Thanks again for all your knowledge, guys. (and gals)