• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5-spd trannie tunnel question

Steve73tii

So, I did the 5-spd conversion this summer and I got the slave cylinder to tunnel clearance 99% right, but that 1%... If I take off out of 1st just right (wrong?) I can still hear some rattling.

We only have 5-6 months of good driving weather, so I put it off until winter.

Now, do I really want to drop the gearbox again this winter or is there any way to get another 16th" or so with the trannie in place? Would a slide hammer from inside the car have any effect?

Feeling lazy...

--Steve

'73 2002tii Agave green #2763558

Now, do I really want to drop the gearbox again this winter or is there any way to get another 16th" or so with the trannie in place?

...I used a prybar. The chances of it hurting the slave when bolted to the transmission solidly are slim to none, since that thing is in a cast steel housing.

Then again, I'm a bit of a slacker too

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

area down to bare metal where you need to increase clearance, use the stud gun to attach a few pull nails, and use a slide hammer with a pull nail attachment to pull the area back far enough to gain the clearance you need without drilling any holes in the tunnel.

I had the same problem when I put in my 5 speed - didn't dimple the tunnel quite enough. I ultimately was able to get enough clearance with a small pry bar, but it was difficult because the engine and trans move on their mounts when you're trying to exert enough pressure against the side of the trans case to make the tunnel sheet metal move far enough to increase clearance.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)